Using Jet A as a fuel

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with using jet fuel in their PSD?
I have access to jet fuel that has been sumped from planes, once it is taken out it can't go back in.
The only problem that I can see with running Jet fuel is that there is no lubricating properties in jet fuel. What can be added so I don't score the injectors?

:cowboy:

jlayne

Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
just a wild guess you might could put a few gallons of veggie oil in the tank.. not sure how much it would take to ensure your injectors don't walk out on ya

but i'm sure there are some other additives that can be used

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
jlayne said:
just a wild guess you might could put a few gallons of veggie oil in the tank.. not sure how much it would take to ensure your injectors don't walk out on ya

:D I do have plenty of veggie oil. Will it mix, or would it seperate and settle?

I am getting ready to convert the PSD over to WVO this weekend, then I wouldn't be too concerned. I just want to take care of those stage 1's.

jlayne

Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
well if you wanted to find out just take a mason jar and fill it half and half and give it a good shake and let it set for a day or two.. my guess it that it would mix, but being i haven't been around Jet A that much i'm not positive... i know it will mix with diesel and you can mix it up to 50/50 as long as its summertime (about like 45deg. so they say) but again how much veggie (or any other product) you will have to add is going to be be the kicker to ensure you don't booger up your injectors ($$$!)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KansasDiesel said:
Has anyone had experience with using jet fuel in their PSD?
I have access to jet fuel that has been sumped from planes, once it is taken out it can't go back in.
The only problem that I can see with running Jet fuel is that there is no lubricating properties in jet fuel. What can be added so I don't score the injectors?

:cowboy:

I am in the Jet Fuel, line of work. Most all of the jet fuel types have little to no lubrication qualities. Jet "A" also has whats known as F.S.I.I. (Fizzy). Fizzy is an anti-iceing inhibiter to prevent gelling at low temps ( highy altitudes). in addition it (some grades) has Naptha. The two, in combination, or by them selves, have a corrosive and solvent effect on Some... metals and seal/gasket materials.

All of the above is very General, but I think it would fall into the : "Don't try this at home", catagory.

I once put a 1/2 gallon of JP-5 in about 25 gallons of diesel.... In 2 days it ate up ALL the seals and gaskets in the injector pump.

I would'nt have a clue as to how much lubricant to add per gallon to make it work in a PSD......

FWIW :dunno

JOE

You prolly work around A/C, so you know all this. But for those that don't...??

Last edited:

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
BIG JOE said:
I am in the Jet Fuel, line of work. Most all of the jet fuel types have little to no lubrication qualities. Jet "A" also has whats known as F.S.I.I. (Fizzy). Fizzy is an anti-iceing inhibiter to prevent gelling at low temps ( highy altitudes). in addition it (some grades) has Naptha. The two, in combination, or by them selves, have a corrosive and solvent effect on Some... metals and seal/gasket materials.

All of the above is very General, but I think it would fall into the : "Don't try this at home", catagory.

I once put a 1/2 gallon of JP-5 in about 25 gallons of diesel.... In 2 days it ate up ALL the seals and gaskets in the injector pump.

I would'nt have a clue as to how much lubricant to add per gallon to make it work in a PSD......

FWIW :dunno

JOE

You prolly work around A/C, so you know all this. But for those that don't...??

I know that JP-5 is way different from Jet A, but know about the Prist, I found that the Jet A has to sit for a while and the Prist will settle to the bottom.

My uncle drove his MB solely on Jet A when he worked at TWA way back when, and never had any issues, but the PSD is a totally different engine.

jlayne

Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
KansasDiesel said:
I know that JP-5 is way different from Jet A, but know about the Prist, I found that the Jet A has to sit for a while and the Prist will settle to the bottom.

My uncle drove his MB solely on Jet A when he worked at TWA way back when, and never had any issues, but the PSD is a totally different engine.

the old kaiser/jeep M35A (deuce and a half) military trucks with the multifuel engines would run on JetA 24/7/365 as will most any military engines.. but like you said the PSD is a totally different animal

Worm Drowner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
jlayne said:

It wasn't the veggie oil that murdered my injectors, it was the vinegar I mixed with it. It did make the salad taste nice though....... :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58