USING MY BLOCK HEATER?

chase

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks for the comments guys, thanks for the welcome. so what type of timer are you guys using. do you plug the timer in the outlet then the cord to it? thanks again
jesse

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Another thing that can help you to remember to unplug is getting one of these:
key7.jpg

CHPMustang

Reaction score
chase said:
thanks for the comments guys, thanks for the welcome. so what type of timer are you guys using. do you plug the timer in the outlet then the cord to it? thanks again
jesse
I believe the timers I'm using is rated to 15 amps,Lowes/HD has em for $10-$20.

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
The heater is rated at 1000 watts. It will, like has been stated, draw between 900 and 1100 watts depending on the voltage supplied. If the supply voltage is 110 volts the wattage will be on the low end and if it is 130 volts, it will be on the high end. I have calculated the wattage with an ammeter and digital volt meter and mine calculated somewhere around 950 watts.
I have my timer set for 3 hrs and it seem to be more that enough at zero degrees F.
Jim

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+15 degrees

How low does it need to get before you guys use your block heater. Our average low in December and January is around +35 degrees. We have seen a record of +15 degrees about 15 years ago.

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
Any where from 0 to 15 degrees F before I plug mine in. A record low of +15 F, I wouldn't worry about using it unless you like a warm truck when you take off.
Jim

chase

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
just last week here in utah. we had a record low at 4 degrees. but its around 15-20 threwout the year. I leave for work around 6am. i just dont like letting the truck warm up for 15 min before i leave.
Heres a question for you guys. Is it normal for my truck to rev up alittle when its ideling. it will be at 750 rpm. then jump up to 1100 rpms. as soon as i touch the throttle or apply the brake the idel drops back to normal.
has anybody else experencied this..
thanks
jesse

skycop530

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
chase said:
just last week here in utah. we had a record low at 4 degrees. but its around 15-20 threwout the year. I leave for work around 6am. i just dont like letting the truck warm up for 15 min before i leave.
Heres a question for you guys. Is it normal for my truck to rev up alittle when its ideling. it will be at 750 rpm. then jump up to 1100 rpms. as soon as i touch the throttle or apply the brake the idel drops back to normal.
has anybody else experencied this..
thanks
jesse

When she's cold she'll ramp up to about 1100-1200 rpms. It's typical cold weather operations. Not to worry.

skycop530

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Oh, and she'll do it until she's either warmed up or you touch the brake or the throttle.

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
Elk said:
My best guess is leaving mine plugged in over night (no timer) 5 days a week costs me about $25 a month, but I can't remember what my elec rate is.
Thanks

Yeap, probably somewhere around that ;)

Here is the math

(DAYS) x (HOURS Per Day) x (KWH Cost)= Cost per MOnth ;)

20 x 8 x .15 = $24 :sweet

Or, you can get a timer for $10-$20 rated at 15 AMPS outside timer and it would cut that cost in Half and then by the 2nd month, you will come out cheaper ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58