Using stock upfitter switch

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok... I am ready to use one of the switches. I installed a 74 gallon in bed fuel tank for our upcoming trip. I need to route a 30 amp switched power wire to the fuel tank. The manual says switch one and two are 30 amp. Where do the wires end, so I can splice into one of the 30 amp switches, and run a positive wire back to the fuel tank. Do they also provide a ground wire for each switch?
Since I am wiring challenged, I might have to take it to Ford, or some other service center.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
The wires for the upfitter switches are behind the fuse panel under the steering wheel, just pull down the fuse panel (4 bolts) and you will see them there, In 05 they were all Orange with different color tracers on each. The 2 larger Diameter are your 30 amp ones on switches 1 & 2.

There is not a ground wire provided, just use a chassis ground.

Hope this helps!

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
max
under elctrical in the link
list the wires and colors
fordwires

Thanks Robert;

It looks very informative. I am still having problems concentrating due to this dumb flu. :dizzy
I take the wife to the doctor tomorrow. She is getting worse. Hoss69 said that it took him 5 weeks to get rid of the flu. :eek:
We are going on the third week. Hope it does not take 5 weeks to get over this.

VALKYRIES

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Upfitter switch

I would get the two #10 wire gray covering for you job. This will bring the ground wire back to ( near the battery ground) a battery ground point. This reduces the bad grounds of adding acceries. You can use a relay for your job and the power (wire) for the coil ( about 0.150 amps) then take it to ground. That is easy. If you want to use a coil? Take power from the battery then to a fused weather proof 30 A holder ( splice to) black #10 wire to pump the ground wire ( white) back to ground near the battery. If you use lugs try to get the ones with as much material on them as you can the #10 lugs will be yellow. If you can solder connections and use some RTV over the joint then tape with R 33 tape. If heat shrink use the RTV under it as well. You don't need to have the full current going throught the switch. Hope this isn't tooooo confusssssing?:dunno

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get the two #10 wire gray covering for you job. This will bring the ground wire back to ( near the battery ground) a battery ground point. This reduces the bad grounds of adding acceries. You can use a relay for your job and the power (wire) for the coil ( about 0.150 amps) then take it to ground. That is easy. If you want to use a coil? Take power from the battery then to a fused weather proof 30 A holder ( splice to) black #10 wire to pump the ground wire ( white) back to ground near the battery. If you use lugs try to get the ones with as much material on them as you can the #10 lugs will be yellow. If you can solder connections and use some RTV over the joint then tape with R 33 tape. If heat shrink use the RTV under it as well. You don't need to have the full current going throught the switch. Hope this isn't tooooo confusssssing?:dunno

Thank you for your post.
At this point in our recovery from the flu... especially in the evening, saying hi is confusing. I will read your post later when I can concentrate.
Thanks again

Maxtor

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14