v-10 COOLER

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is more of a testimonial. i recently installed the v-10 atf cooler the other day. with the stock cooler i was getting temps of 200. with just the v-10 swap temps drop about 20-30 degrees with an empty bed. thats a pretty good difference.:thumbs

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so that still puts you in the 170/180 range (who said i couldnt do math) ;)

is that empty ? towing ? chip in the stock postion ? just curious...as it
would compare to the 6.0/torque-shift/5r110.

empty on the interstate, dead of summer im lucky to see 165 (autometer
z-series gauge)....'round town / stop and go HEAVY traffic on a HOT HOT
day i can see 180 (at the most)

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is empty with the chip on the 75hp(performance) setting. the hottest it got was 175 sitting in traffic on the way home on a 85-90 degree day.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, sounds 'bout where the torqueshift/5r110 runs its temps

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Where did you get the oil cooler and how much was it???

On 100+ degree days in rush hour traffic I can see 200 degrees. Not a real problem with the synthetic ATF that I am using but I would like for it to be lower.

Tbar

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i purchased mine through dieselsite.com bolts right up with oem brackets. there is a good temperature drop from stock to v-10 cooler. i dont know why they didnt go with the larger cooler to begin with. i commute a round trip to and from work 100 miles a day with a mix of city and highway driving.

Last edited:

dpantazis

Reaction score
i put one on my truck too. the v-10 is about 3 times the size of the stock one. see my pics in my sig.

to date, my temps are now in the 130-160 range. i'm in the 80hp econo setting.

i have not had it out this week in the 90deg heat though. i'd estimate it that its about 80 degrees hotter than outside temps.

i would guess some variance in the gages too though. ymmv.

dp

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I think I'm seeing a bit of confusion here concerning the size of the tranny coolers and the original application for that cooler.

My early 99 had the original tranny cooler without any second cooler inside the radiator. Shown here as the one on the bottom:
View attachment 5497

I removed the smaller one and replaced it with the tranny cooler used on a V-8 or V-10 truck, the larger cooler at the top. I did that mod I'm guessing about 5 years ago. Later I added a second cooler from Dieselsite.com:

View attachment 5503
The combination of the two has dropped my tranny temps significantly. When non-towing driving, my temp gauge barely comes off the low peg @ 100* on a 70* day. When towing, it rarely goes above 175* on a 90* day.

With the intro of the 6.0, an even larger tranny cooler was introduced. I don't know if that same larger cooler was used on the gas engines or not. But the larger cooler is the one that appears to be about 14" tall give or take an inch or two. Had I known about that larger cooler, I would have used it instead of the middle sized one.

One tip on installing any tranny cooler. ALWAYS INSTALL IT WITH THE FITTINGS ON THE TOP OR ON THE SIDE. NEVER INSTALL IT WITH THE FITTINGS ON THE BOTTOM. With the hose fittings on the bottom, the fluid cannot fill the cooler and air will be trapped inside forming an air bubble. With the fittings on the side or top, the air can be bled and the cooler will fill with fluid allowing the cooler to function at it's intended capacity.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14