v10 trans cooler

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anybody running with a V-10 trans cooler in place of stock. in the summertime i reach 200*. was wondering average temp difference over stock

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
200 degree's that's a little too warm. In my truck I run a the stock cooler, an aftermarket transmission pan w/cooling tubes (derale), and an aftermarket cooler w/fan (flex-o-lite) which is placed right behind the grill. In the summer (90 degrees outside) I hardly ever exceed trans temps of 125*. The problem with the stock transmission coolers is that they are located in the middle of everything so they don't get max air flow and are surrounded with hot air. I found that the aftermarket cooler with fan helped my temps the most.

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I've got the v-8/v-10 (both engines use the same cooler) tranny cooler and an auxillarly cooler also. I've got a pic in my webshots showing size comparison between the v-8/v-10 cooler and the standard 7.3 sized cooler. Click on the link below my sig.

When I was towing & traveling for a living, I think generally the summertime temps were around 150 - 175. The highest I ever recall seeing was about 195 for a brief period. Non-towing the temp gauge hardly comes off the peg @ <100.

Since the 6.0 came out, the more popular mod is to install a 6.0 tranny cooler instead of the v-8/v-10. It is even larger than than the gas engine cooler and will still bolt right in. The main issue with doing this sort of upgrade/mod will be getting the cooler lines hooked up. You may have to do some fabrication with some supplies from the local auto supply or hardware store. The last I heard, that is what BRIANS TRUCK SHOP does when they do their tranny mod magic.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14