Vaccume pump gave up

clem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I still drive the truck with out damaging any thing else?I have to wait 2 or 3 days for the new one to come in.(Autozone $114)I have to many tools to put them in the car and I'm driving about 90 miles round trip every day(mostly hiway miles).Also do I need a special puller for the pulley?Thanks for any help.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Brakes don't work very good without a vacuum pump. I don't think a 90 mile drive without brakes would be a good idea :eek:

clem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose what I was getting at was will the pulley fly through the hood?It didn't seem to be making any extra noise or squealing.Thanks

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it turns freely then other than really hard brakes you won't have any problems that and your heater selections aren't going to work because the dampner doors in the dash are controlled by vacuum. Brakes will work but will require lots of pressure just put a note on the dash reminding you to stay well back for when you get off the hwy and have forgotten that your brakes dont' work too well.

To change it out you'll need a power steering pully puller (say that 3 times fast) but autozoo rents them.

clem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the truck to work today and the only time the brakes got hard was creeping up at the stop lite.When the brakes got hard the idiot lite came on. once I got the revs up the lite went out and then it was ok.I didn't notice(now that you mentioned it) the heater switch having much trouble.I don't think I tried to move it while the brake idiot lite was on.Thanks for the heads up on the puller. Hopefully the pump will be here soon.I ended up ordering it from Powerstrokeshop.Thanks for the replies.

clem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pump change went well.Driving with out power assist wasnt to bad.The hardest part was waiting for the pump.Thanks for the help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14