vacuum pump emerg fix

fablife

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If you’ve ever had the dis-pleasure of having a vacuum pump go out, then you know what I’m talking about. Depending on the type of pump failure you may still have a chance to get to a safe location, maybe even home !! I’ve had a run of bad luck with these creatures so, I figured maybe some of this could be helpful to someone. I’ve had one just blow the top off (the vacuum part) so the belt was still operational, one crack the bearing housing rendering the pulley/belt useless and one completely disintegrate!!
Using the belt route below you can run the engine, bypassing the vacuum pump !! now, of course, your brakes will be like stone, due to the lack of vacuum assist, but it can be done in an emergency. I’ve driven with the re-routed belt approximately 30 miles of normal driving.
In case you’re not sure you’ll need a 15mm wrench or socket/ratchet for the belt tensioner pulley, the easiest way is to put the wrench on the tensioner and push down on the belt and tensioner at the same time, let up on the belt and take up the slack with the tensioner wrench. If you want to remove the vacuum pump you’ll need a 10mm wrench to remove the 3 bolts, then a puller for the pulley swap, once you have the new pump. Good luck and be safe !! JD
ps: print it out and stick in the glove box (if your memory is like mine!)

beltroute.jpg

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Good information for the OBS trucks................thanks for sharing.

Tbar

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. I need to try that on a truck to see if the bearing is going bad on the vacuum pump. I cannot seem to find this squeak and believe it is the vacuum pump.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
fordtrucker4life, place a screw driver on the vacuum pump and the other end in your ear; you will clearly hear every thing going on inside the vacuum pump. This is a lot easier than changing the belt.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14