Valve Cover Removal

RON.B54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The back bolts on the v/c are a pain. Patience and universal joint sockets. Oh and yes you need to remove the intercooler pipe

JRJ04

Reaction score
yea it seems like getting that I/C pipe out of the way is a must...regardless of whether or not I remove it completely or just take it out of the top and then rotate it out of the way by loosening the lower boot.

As far as replacing the UVC Harness and glowplugs go...pretty straight forward process?

JRJ04

Reaction score
Well even though my passenger side is the problematic side, I decided it would be a good idea to replace both of the UVC's, so I purchased 2 from my International dealership for $38 a piece. I decided to dive into the driver's side yesterday, and all in all I think it went well. Back bolt was a little difficut to get to, and getting everything lined back up took some time.

So, I tackled the drivers side and was pretty pleased with how well I did. I know the passenger side is worse, but I feel a lot better about removing and reinstalling the I/C pipe. Name of the game is to get them really clean and then reapply nice and tight.

So just how big of a monster is the passenger side? I've been able to get to all the bolts on the valve cover (2 of them I went from underneath the wheel well). I see 2 black hoses running along the top of the cover...can they (or do they have to?) be disconnected. What kind of surprise will I see with the oil fill tube there?

Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Pass. Side valve cover.

Hey man relax you got the drivers done. The passenger side is not much harder than that. Good idea getting both harnesses though. Those two hoses are return and feed for the heater core, leave them connected and move aside. No surprises unless you got a blow by issue and it's all gummed up. Your almost there so keep going in the direction you are now.

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
are those 2 hoses plyable enough to pull out of the way?

how does the oil fill tube come out?

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Hoses and oil fill

The clips that hold the coolant hoses can be taken off to access the valve cover hardware then pull them to the drivers side with a bungee cord, they'll be okay over there. And for the fill tube you'll notice a hex shape on the top under the lip, big adjustable wrench or channel locks, it's threaded into the cover. Change the o-ring while your there too. Too bad your not down the street cause it would be done already, lol..... I'm unemployed now so if you need anymore help just ask me okay.

JRJ04

Reaction score
The clips that hold the coolant hoses can be taken off to access the valve cover hardware then pull them to the drivers side with a bungee cord, they'll be okay over there. And for the fill tube you'll notice a hex shape on the top under the lip, big adjustable wrench or channel locks, it's threaded into the cover. Change the o-ring while your there too. Too bad your not down the street cause it would be done already, lol..... I'm unemployed now so if you need anymore help just ask me okay.

Cool, so the fill tube will come off with the cover then correct? I'm thinking I'll just leave it attached to the cover and pull the whole thing out. Is there a hole the fill tube fits down into inside the cover that drains into the pan?

BDJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passenger side

Honestly, I did the pass side today, and it wasnt a big deal at all. If you dont got one, one of those two step stools will make it way easier.

Other than that, take off the intercooler pipe, then take the two heater hose holders off their studs by rotating them, then zip tie the heater hoses to that convenient little hole on the bottom of the hood weatherstripping and you are pretty much done. Their is a wiring harness that runs to your alternator or right next to it (dont remember right now) that you can disconnect and push aside, but you dont have too.

As for the bolts, the back ones can be gotten with a 1/4" and a little leverage. Man hands or a small piece of pipe/breaker bar will do the trick on them easy.

And yes, the fill pipe will just come off, it is hand tight.

Good Luck;tu

rotorholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody in Dallas TX want to make some extra cash for helping me with with my o-rings? I can do the drivers side valve cover/injectors you can do the passengers....

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
once you get the oil fill tube off, the pass side is not much harder than the drivers..
you need to finargle it around a little, but it comes out pretty good..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14