Valve cover wireing connector

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well got the new return fuel line on today and discovered that the two outer pins on one of the valve cover connectors are melted. Anyone replaced just the connector or is it a situation where you have to buy that whole harness?

Thanks!

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get just a pigtail (connector with five wires) to splice in. You can also get a repair kit that has the connector shell pieces (the pins are sold separate) and fix it that way. If a connection is burned/melted (goes for either internal connection or external connection), always replace the VC gasket or you be fixing it again shortly. Dorman (615-202, available at the autoparts places) sell a kit that has a VC gasket, two UVCHs, and two external pigtails. For the repair kit and pins here are some part numbers:

Valve Cover External Harness Repair Kits (contains 4 hard shells w/seals, w/o pins)
(Ford) F7TZ-14489-BA (94-96) w/o pins
(Ford) F7TZ-14489-AA (97) w/o pins
(International) 1830829C91 w/o pins
Female Pins, no wire lead (International) 1661875C1
Female Pins, with 6” wire lead (International) 2501055C1
Individual Wire/Pin seals (International) 1661872C1

Here's a link to just the "pigtail"

Hope that helps. Cheers!

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Patrick. I know that it can be indicative of a problem underneat the VC's but I'm really strapped for cash and time now so I'll probably just fix the one external pigtail. About to head to town and see what I can find local before I order anything.
With my fuel spewing episode last week, I think it may have weakend stuff that was already in a bad way.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it closer when I get back.

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ended up going withe the repair kit which was a breeze to swap out. Anyone know what the wiring schematic is for those connectors? My two outside contacts are in terrible shape and was just wondering what they controlled. Truck runs great so I'm guessing they aren't injector wiring. Assuming glow plug but I'm always interested in learing more about the truck.

Thanks for all the help. Althought this segment of the site seems to be dying off, it's still very useful.

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On each connector, the outermost pins are one glowplug each, the center pin is common to the two injectors associated with that connector, and the pins adjacent to the center pin are for one injector each. Cheers!

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought because it was running good. Don't hardly need the glow plugs here in TX anyways so who cares if they work or not!
Thanks

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought because it was running good. [Don't hardly need the glow plugs here in TX anyways so who cares if they work or not!]
Thanks

Might wana re-think that thought about the Glow Plugs ?

These PSD's NEED pre-heated cylinder temps, in ALL 8 cylinders.. to start and run properly, during cold starts.. even at warm ambient (Texas) temperatures.

Many Codes and a CEL can be set.. that rob you of Power and Performance.. even after warm up ?

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought because it was running good. Don't hardly need the glow plugs here in TX anyways so who cares if they work or not!
Thanks

You won't be singing this tune when the temps drop. You do get below 40° F and your truck will not start in this condition. Big Joe is 100% correct in what he is saying.

Dave

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well for the time being they aren't critical. And they could actually be working, it's just that those 2 connectors looked the worst out of all 5.

However, I don't understand how I could lose power and performance even after warm up? Help out on understanding that please.

Thanks

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how I could lose power and performance even after warm up? Help out on understanding that please.

Thanks

Your 96, with 270K on the clock ?

1. Unless you get Glow Plug aided detonation in all 8 cylinders, at cold start ups.. you could be dumping raw, unburnt fuel into, and passed, the piston rings. Not Good. Smoke, and oil contamination ?

2. During the PCM/ECM controlled, cold start cycle(s) (they cycle even after start up, if needed).. all sorts of parameters are being monitored, controlled and compensated for.. until a number of Op temps are achieved. If there are a [few] glow plugs that are not working.. the PCM will/can detect that, and register an anomaly code that could [Possibly] alter performance... Even After Warm up.

All the above is VERY simply put.. But your 7.3 was designed with Glow Plugs to aid start ups.. they should All be working (?).

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg