valve cover wiring harnesses

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
Anybody got a picture of where these actually are? I've got the SES light, runs rough for a few, then it goes away and it's fine. The light comes on and off rather quickly sometimes, so that would be consistent with a loose wiring harness.

I'm gonna go take a peek under the hood and see if I can find it and throw my code reader on there, but figured if someone had a pic that could keep my hunting around to a minimum!

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
Poked around for a second, couldn't find them, but don't have much time to look this morning either. Hooked up my scanner and nothing. But I'm going to keep it in the truck with me now so if the SES light comes on again I can check it right then and there.

CANOBD2.com - OBD Diagnostics Made Simple

That's the scanner I have, I remember seeing somewhere that a scanner had to be CAN compatibile which it appears as if that one is.

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
Anyone?? How about at least a description of where this harness is? Trucks running like crap, and apparently my code reader doesn't work with the truck as it didn't pull any codes.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I believe it is the gasket that is under the valve covers. I can see plugs going into my covers. Remove the valve cover and it should be lying right there.

not a good pic but look here

The red tape wrapped line has some little yellow wires right next to the engine hoist ring. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like this?
DSCF00182.JPG

Last edited:

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
So I actually have to remove the valve covers to get in there and repair this??? I pulled on the harness a little bit and the engine definitely smoothed out, but I couldn't see if it was taking the SES light off as well as I was doing it all by myself in the parking lot at work.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The SES light will not go off until the truck is turned off and on a few times(6 I think). You can clear the light if you have a way to read the codes.

Dave

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
The light ONLY comes on when the truck is running rough, as soon as the truck smooths out, light goes off.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
There's a harness under the VCs that is the wires going to injectors and GPs. The harness then plugs into a plug that's part of the VC gaskets. The pic above shows the early Powerstroke external VC plug. Later models only have one plug, early ones have two plugs in the VC gasket.

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
I feel like an idiot for asking this, but what all is involved in taking the valve covers off?? I've rebuilt t-cases, done a bunch of fab work, suspension work, axles, all sorts of crap, but never done more to an engine than install intakes, change the oil, and change out basic sensors.

Also, how bad is it to keep driving it with all of this going on?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14