Humor van turbo

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
What's the deal with van turbos? Is it worth the trouble to switch? do they come without the ebpv? how much bigger are they? Just a few questions, any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks :dizzy

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
They have no wastegate, but do have an EBPV. The exhaust housing is a 1.15 A/R Vs .84 A/R for the superduty. I was gonna out one on, but got tired of looking and went with GTP38R.

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Whats the benefit of no wastegate, wont that create turbo lag? Are they a direct bolt on?

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
A wastegate does nothing for Lag. It is there to bypass exhaust to limit excess boost on the top end. The reason the van turbo does not have one is due to the large exhaust housing. It will limit total boost by nature. Now, the larger housing will in theory make it lag more than your stock one. How much, I do not know.

It will bolt directly on, but you will need an exhaust adapter. I believe Bean's Diesel has them, Diesel Innovations used to, may still.

From what I've heard these are great for towing as they will help lower EGT's and help with surge. Some add the Wicked Wheel and/or the ATS ported compressor housing to help with surge also. Those two mods will also increase the whistle if you like that.

Last edited:

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the EBPV removed, it runs a little cooler and some have noticed some lag on it. Of course with the the AC Stage II injectors, that problem is fixed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58