Question vapor from oil filler cap

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed my oil fill cap on my wifes 01 excursion while it was running and there is a vapor being blown out, is this blowby?
I know on my Dodge cummins there is breather tube which has vapor coming out of it while it is running. Do the 7.3's have a breather box, maybe mine is plugged and it is forcing it out the oil fill.

Thanks for any thoughts on this subject.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I removed my oil fill cap on my wifes 01 excursion while it was running and there is a vapor being blown out, is this blowby?
I know on my Dodge cummins there is breather tube which has vapor coming out of it while it is running. Do the 7.3's have a breather box, maybe mine is plugged and it is forcing it out the oil fill.

Thanks for any thoughts on this subject.

it's possible it's caked with goo..
the biggest thing with these is, it's drawn in by the turbocharger, so you have to spin it at a fairly decent RPM for it to draft the whole crankcase..

diesel engines have no manifold vacuum, so you can't run a PCV system.. it's strictly vapor collection

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay what is caked with Goo? is there a breather somewhere i cant see??? and thanks for the information regarding how the system functions.

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its vapor, it looks just like my dodge puts out of the breather tube that runs down the back of the motor, but i dont understand why its coming out of the oil fill cap???

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
There are no external vents for the crankcase gases to escape. The gases go back into the engine intake and get burned, under normal circumstances. No open vents.

Dave

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Okay what is caked with Goo? is there a breather somewhere i cant see??? and thanks for the information regarding how the system functions.

yeah.. the breather/separator is in the middle of the intake snorkel, and drafts out of the driver's side valve cover..
Dennis (Dpantazis) got the Racor filter setup for his. The installation was fairly straightforward, and it's a tight set-up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14