Question Very slight exhaust small in the cab, but fumes causing burning in my eyes

mcbently

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just bought a used 2004 Ford F350 6.0 Lariat diesel. Overall I love this truck. The previous owner replaced the EGR valve, EGR cooler, the coolant overflow bottle, and had the cooling system flushed out. The truck drives well, handles well, and pulls well. I love this truck.

Now the problem. When I drive it, I get a slight smell of exhaust fumes in the cab. I get some eye and throat irritation, and feel slightly sick. It takes a bit of time, usually 30 to 40 minutes of drive time. This happens no matter how the AC, heater, or vent system is being used.

Any thoughts?

I am not a DIY mechanic on new vehicles. I read some threads about Y pipes, but not sure how to check them. Can you please provide me with some guidance on how to check for cracks?

Thank you.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You should start your inspection visually. That is LOOK at everything to do with the exhaust system. Look under the hood for cracks in the pipes. Make sure the clamps are tight. I would start with the downpipe, going from the turbo down to the exhaust pipe. Grab the pipe(s) and give them a good shake, they should not move. Your problem is under the hood and that is why you smell it. If it was under the truck you would not smell it. Good luck on your search! ;tu

Dave :)

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Dave said but....

When you check the downpipe and it's clamp at the turbo... even if it feels tight... if you see ANY soot.. there's yer smell source.

When, or as the turbo heats up.. the downpipe expands (at a different rate).. allowing exhaust to leak by the connection. When everything gets to Op temps.. it reseals.. No Smell.

Kinda common if there's been any work done on these PSD's. Or over time.

Not sure on the 6.0.. but there's probably a donut gasket under the turbo/downpipe clamp assembly.. might need tightening or replaceing ?

Joe

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58