Question very strange issue, ignition or electrical?

Glenstr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi all, new to the group. My truck is a 99 SDD 7.3

I was working in my garage last night when I thought I heard my chime going off in my truck, went outside and it was going on-off intermittently, no key in the ignition. I turned the key on/off, tried starting it but I noticed that the wait to start light was not coming on, it was cold (-10c) as well and batteries seemed down, and when I turned the key off the chiming continued and door locks started going up and down on their own. I disconnected the batteries and left it over night.

I ran into this last summer one day when I left one of my kids in the car while I was grabbing somehing in a store, the truck was shut off and for no reason chimes going off, door locks were going up & down etc. Once I started it it was ok and nothing was going off when I drove home.

I was thinking ignition cylinder/assembly because once I was home I had to turn it way back past stop position to stop the engine, and I know it's worn out because I can pull the key out easily once the truck is running. That time I disconnected the batteries, drove it to the dealer in the city a few days later and they checked it and said all was fine, and that I may have tripped the anti-theft module somehow and disconnecting the batteries cured it. Up until yesterday I had no more issues.

Anyway, this morning I put the charger on to top the batteries up, hooked them up again and right away I could hear some faint whirring, and then the chime started going off again. I started her up and same thing as last time, turning to stop position would not shut it off, I had to turn the key past stop to acc position to stop it, and door locks started going up & down again on their own, with the key in or out.

When the engine is running though, nothing is wrong.

I'm again wondering ignition assembly?, as it is clearly not working properly, and maybe 1/2 of the truck thinks the key is still on when its not, and this is making the anti theft (do 99's even have it?) act up? Then I start thinking it's a voltage problem with the GEM, but when the truck fires up everything seems ok, no chimes, door locks not going crazy etc.

If it was a GEM issue, would it not manifest itself all the time, not just when the truck is sitting with no key in it?

Any other suggestions?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For starters ??

1. I'd Definitely replace that Ignition switch assembly.

2. Isolate each battery and Load Test them.

3. Drop the in-cab fuse panel and check for corrosion on the top area*. Also check the under the hood PD box..

*These PSD's are known to have water intrusion issues at times.. from windshield seal leaks ?

Joe

Glenstr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply - I did unbolt the main fuse panel but it didn't seem to want to budge, may try it again. As far as I can tell though, I have never had any leakage issues, but I'm sure not ruling it out.

I'm thinking it's the GEM, but last time this happened when I took it to the dealer they said it all checked out ok. I have an appt for next week if I haven't found the issue by then, hopefully it won't "cure itself" like last time so they can actually see the problem.

Also had a thought, there is a Viper command start in this truck, it hasn't worked in years, but I'm wondering if something in the Viper "brain" could be causing this. The Viper had a feature where you could turn the key off and the engine would remain running, and I wonder if the other issues could also be caused by it. If I can just find the cursed thing I'll pull it out and see (it was in the truck when I bought it) I spoke to a Viper dealer and the fellow I talked to didn't think it was, because he said the Viper won't set the chimes off in any case, but I still wonder..

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you take it to the dealer ($$).. you might wana check the battery(s) condition. With all the electronic systems.. proper voltage and amps is omni important. Strange things (like yours) can happen.. just from depleted batteries ???

Murphy's Law # 307: When you take your vehicle to the dealer for repair.... The repair symptom.. WILL NOT.. present itself ? ;):D

Joe

Last edited:

Glenstr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes will check them over the weekend, they are 7 yr batteries that are in year 4 I think. I have had low batteries before though, and never saw the electrical system go bananas like that, usually it's just hard to start. The truck not shutting off when the key is turned to the off position I find very strange - could a low battery be the cause of that you think?

A few times lately I have started the truck in -20c weather without it being plugged in and it started fine - which to me indicates that my batteries are still pretty good, but will see if I can do some more thorough tests on them over the weekend..

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Purdy obvious about the ignition Switch or GEM issues.. but the Batts ARE worth a check. And that Viper set-up is worth a look-see too ?

A diagnostic Scan might identify some issues too ??

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You can't rely on your intuition about these batteries. You should get them load tested, INDIVIDUALLY, to be sure. Low batteries can cause all sorts of problems with today's computer controlled trucks and cars. My batteries last less than three years, on 4 year warranty batteries. I just put a Viper Alarm in my Toyota Corolla and I am still learning how it all works. So far I don't rely on the Viper for more than the alarm function.

Dave :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14