VGT solenoi

missingsc331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my friend wired a switch inside the cab to the power wire on the VGT solenoid so that he could switch it on and off. He did this because he like the way the exhaust sounded and he could blow massive amounts of black smoke. i dont want to do this, just wondering about the effects of it. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

missingsc331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
explain what you mean by that. i know it keeps the vanes from either opening or closing and you wont have as much power but are there any negative effects to the engine or turbo from doing this?

OBS96

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but I would think there would be some internal pressure issues on the exhuast side of your turbo, and your up-pipes. Maybe more! I sure wouldn't do it. Why tear up your ride? Just my opinion though. I'm in it for the long haul.

OBS96

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm New At This Too, But........

I don't know for sure, but I would think there would be some internal pressure issues on the exhuast side of your turbo, and your up-pipes. Maybe more! I sure wouldn't do it. Why tear up your ride? Just my opinion though. I'm in it for the long haul though.

OBS96

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry I answered twice

But for some reason tonight, my modem keeps dropping off line, and then re-booting.

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
Wouldn't that soot-up the variable vanes in the turbo? I can't imagine doing that intentionally just to make some smoke.

OBS96

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I think so

I think it would soot up your up-pipes,and the exhaust side of turbo, which would probably clear out once the backpressure was gone. But why would you put the stress on all your gaskets, and donut gaskets? It will only make them wear out sooner. Maybe drastically. Is It worth it? Look, there are MUCH more smarter people on this site to ask, than me. People who have been working on them since 94, or before.Re-post, and ask them. They won't steer you wrong. I just know how I take care of my truck, and I wouldn't do it.Theres a right way, and a wrong way. To me, this is the wrong way.

missingsc331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh yeah, without a doubt ... like i said, a friend of mine did it ... my truck costs way too much to tear it up for something dumb like that ... thanks though, just curious

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg