Vibration between 55mph and 70mph

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
Ok I am really tired of the front end vibration I have in my truck. Here is a little back story on things, I had new tires put on it September and I also had new ball joints, passenger tie rod, passenger side hub, axle joints and rear U-joints done. I also changed the rear diff fluid and added new friction modifier just to eliminate that as a possible cause. Yesterday I locked the front hubs to see if it when away and it remained the same but I have a questions though. If I turn the hubs from auto to locked that should engage both hubs you should not be able to turn the front drive shaft at all right? I could move the front drive shaft going to the transfer case freely until I engaged the 4x4 via the dash switch and then everything locked up with no play. What else can I look at to eliminate possibilities? I am completely stumped on this one.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I am really tired of the front end vibration I have in my truck. Here is a little back story on things, I had new tires put on it September and I also had new ball joints, passenger tie rod, passenger side hub, axle joints and rear U-joints done. I also changed the rear diff fluid and added new friction modifier just to eliminate that as a possible cause. Yesterday I locked the front hubs to see if it when away and it remained the same but I have a questions though. If I turn the hubs from auto to locked that should engage both hubs you should not be able to turn the front drive shaft at all right? I could move the front drive shaft going to the transfer case freely until I engaged the 4x4 via the dash switch and then everything locked up with no play. What else can I look at to eliminate possibilities? I am completely stumped on this one.

If the hubs are locked the drive shaft should not turn. If your turning the shaft the hub are not locking and you need to look there first OR Jack up the front of the truck lock the hub and spin the tire and see if the U-joint is turning behind the tire. If thats turning and the drive shaft is not you need to pull the diff. cover and look.

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
If the hubs are locked the drive shaft should not turn. If your turning the shaft the hub are not locking and you need to look there first OR Jack up the front of the truck lock the hub and spin the tire and see if the U-joint is turning behind the tire. If thats turning and the drive shaft is not you need to pull the diff. cover and look.

Thank's Dogman. :sweet That's where I was heading next to look, I am just not all that familiar with the type of engagement system on these trucks. I am used to the old school hubs that are either locked or there not and not the kinda sorta locked not locked that's on the newer trucks.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your locking it at the hub, that drive shaft should not turn. You have the OEM hub? There is a wire clip there that holds the hub on just pull it and the hub will pop off. I may need to be cleaned.

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
If your locking it at the hub, that drive shaft should not turn. You have the OEM hub? There is a wire clip there that holds the hub on just pull it and the hub will pop off. I may need to be cleaned.

They were both off when I had the axle joints and ball joints done. I will pull them off this weekend and look at them to make sure they are clean, lubed and functioning properly. Also as an aside I locked them a few block from the house to make sure that they would be locked when I got home yesterday. The more I think about this I am wondering if I broke something because right after I got the truck back because I had to tow a skid steer. I picked the trailer up at my dads new house and there is a short but steep lose gravel hill to go up and I didn't get enough of a running start and I got stuck mid way up and I could not see well enough to back down. I engaged the 4x4 and rolled the truck back a couple feet to lock everything in then I put it in drive and eased into the throttle and off the brake slowly so I didn't do a sudden jerky start.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14