Help Needed Vibration (rubbing) at 75mph exactly!

Deadman514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a sound from under the truck at exactly 75 on my speedo (not sure what actual speed is because of larger tires). I can drive without looking at my speed and when the noise starts -the needle is at 75. Goes away at 80.
Just started happening two weeks ago. Been trying to track it down since. Sounds like the tires rubbing -bumps make it worse but there's no evidence of rubbing (the dirt in the wheel wells not rubbed off).

Please help!!!

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
get under there (truck parked, of course) and shake the driveshaft in the joints & yokes....

Deadman514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Not it though. Jacked up the front end...no play in the pretty new ball joints or unit bearings. No play in the driveshafts. Vibration happens in 2 or 4wd. Hubs locked or unlocked. Nothing I can see is rubbing although the sound is like a fender rubbing the lugs on the tires.

Deadman514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would have thought at least the smart a##es would have chimed in by now?!?!?!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tranny tailshaft splines need re-greased ??

If so.. use the Marine grade stuff (blue).. lasts longer.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would lean to the driveshaft support bearing. But I have seen the rear seal on tranny do so werd stuf too. Find a good TRUCK lift and get all four tires off of the ground, and run it up to speed and have someone look for the sound. That all the dealers will do. Just be safe doing it.

Deadman514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much play am I supposed to have in that thing? one guy tells me it's supposed to be a bit loose and another tells me he can hang off his without it moving...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14