Help Needed Vibration sound

REDSTROKE99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have recently had a loud vibration/continuous sound of driving on grooved pavement is the only way I can describe it. It sounds as though I am driving on grooved pavement and it ranges from speeds of 40-65 and it comes and goes. It has done it a few times at slow speeds under 25...Initially thought maybe the drivers side hub is going out but now starting to think maybe a u joint or something??? or something to do with drivers side axle?? If anyone has had this similar thing happen maybe you can point me in the right direction before i get it into a mechanic to diagnose it. I have a 99 F250 ext cab long bed..no mods to the suspension just intake, exhaust and programmer. Thanks for any pointers!!!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the d-shaft Slip joint splines too. They tend to go dry.

REDSTROKE99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It has 160k..I recently had new tires put on so im at the tire place as I type this to have them double check and make sure it isn't anything to do with that

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
That was my next call, i guess we can rule out cupped tires as the culprit. Does the noise change at all when turning or slowing down? What about motor mounts? if the motor is sitting on the frame it will make a noise like that. (worst case scenario i know)

hinesenhoffer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hey redstroke
If your truck is a shift on the fly try turning the knob on the dash to 4 wheel drive and back,if the noise quits then I would say its the needle bearing in the hub assy thats gone bad. My truck was doing the same thing,if you put your hubs in the manual position it will stop that from happening. I drove mine around awhile like that but my fuel milage went way down. I put the needle bearing part number B-2110 in and it stopped my noise which sounds just as you described.There is a big axle shaft seal it goes bad and lets water and grime onto this bearing and freezes it up and thats where it makes the noise.

femurphy77

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I realize this is a necro thread but I started experiencing the exact same noise in my truck a couple of weeks ago and described it the exact same way as the O.P. I just wanted to follow up with what hinesenhoffer said about the needle bearing as this was the cause in my truck also. Since the O.P. never responded with his resolution I just wanted to offer my experience for the next Joe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58