VW TDI Passat.. Pros/cons?

96P_Stroke4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm toying with the idea of getting a diesel powered car and thought about a late model (2000+) Passat TDI. does anybody have any experience with one? good or bad? I'm 6'-2", would i fit comfortably?
Thanks in advance.

06PSDROCK

Big Chief
Reaction score
I have an 04 Jetta. I am 6' tall and it is ok. The arm and leg room is good. My right leg hits the center console when driving but that is not bad. I like it alot. I typically get 40-45 mpg depending how fast and where we are driving.

As for your confort, it is not like a cady but it it not that bad.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
No problems with my '00 Jetta. The Passat is a little larger so you will give up a little mileage for the added room. If the car will just be for commuting/ traveling w/ small rear seat passengers the Jetta may work. I wouldn't want to ride in the back seat of a Jetta for very long.

Scott

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
in my family there is a '01, and an '03 TDI. i wouldnt say they are the greatest, the "01 is definatly more reliable than the '03 (by far!). they definatly get GREAT mileage, however around here they are going for way over book value due to the high demand. i would not want to pay a high price for one, just to have some other fuel efficient autos hit the market and drive the demand back down for the tdi, making it worthless. that is around here in CT, where everyone drives to boston, NYC, or springfield to work...so the demand may not be the same where you are....?

Diesel

Cetane Addict
Reaction score
Wifes car is an 02 Tdi Beetle. Best car we ever owned. It has 166k on the clicker and still going strong.We bought it new in 2001 due to her commute(110 miles a day) and never looked back.
Since she left work to have the baby I have been using it for work when I can instead of the Titan.
Average over 166k is about 40mpg(5 speed). An auto will get a little less on average.
The Beetle,Golf,Jetta have the same leg room in the front , but the Passat has more room all over. We have been considering getting a Jetta wagon or a Passat for the space now that the baby is here.
The resale on the Tdi has been strong for the last 6 years. The beetle has the lowest resale value , I guess due to it's styling. The Passat seams to hold it's value the best.
An 8 year old Passat still sells for 12-14k in this area. Not bad considering they sold new for 26k.
Hell, my 06 Titan sells for 12-14K and it stickered for 32k just 2 years ago. Whats that tell ya?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I've ready that the automatic transmissions behind the TDi's are not the greatest and have somewhat a high failure or service rate.

I'd like to know those that have auto's in their TDi's and who has the manuals,what kind of feedback can be shared as I'm actively in the market for a new TDi this summer.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
I drove one about 600 miles a few years back, and it was a nice car. Little more room than a Jetta. Passat's will really haul the mail, too. Thing wasn't quick, but top end was sweet.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the TDIs were using an EGR system...and there were some issues
of CAKING of soot that clogged the intake runners...to the point
that the intake has needed replacement

As i understand it the soot became CEMENTED like such that the
intakes couldnt be cleaned.

Ill check w/ a friend of mine (who is a TDI mechanic) to determine
what specific years are affected

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I have an auto. For reliability sake I will not comment but I do have 112000 miles on the car.

I pulled my intake a few months ago and soaked it for about a week in bio diesel. It was very clogged and was difficult to get clean but it did restore my mileage.

Scott

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
5-speed
cutest little turbocharger...

I'm gonna snag the next one I can get my hands on, too.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14