wait to start light

coondog491

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys i've got two questions both based on opinions i've heard from other people.
1. after my truck has already reached operating temp and i shut it off, if i go to start it again after say 30 min or less do i really have to wait for the wait to start light? i understand waiting when it is cold or if it has sit for a while. i've always been told to wait so i was just curious if its that big of a deal.

2. i've heard that it is better to leave you diesel idling instead of shutting it off for a couple of minutes. because it uses ALOT of fuel to start. idk? i'm used to gassers so im still learning

just trying to get other peoples opinions
thanks

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Both are false. After you start your truck and get it warm, you don't have to wait for the light to go out. UNLESS you live in a very cold place like Alaska. A diesel uses no more fuel to start than it does to run. There is no RICH setting to start. RICH means you have your foot in it. More fuel = more power output. Not at all like a gesser.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both are false. After you start your truck and get it warm, you don't have to wait for the light to go out. UNLESS you live in a very cold place like Alaska. A diesel uses no more fuel to start than it does to run. There is no RICH setting to start. RICH means you have your foot in it. More fuel = more power output. Not at all like a gesser.

Dave

X2 on what Dave sez about the "Wait to Start" light.... when the engine is at, or near OP temps.

JMO here but: A good number of Posts about Smoke and Rough Running at start-up.. could be reduced, Worry eliminated, and allot of Diagnostic money saved.. IF..... When you start your PSD, Cold or Hot.... DON'T pedal the throttle(if you are).... The PCM will do what needs to be done... for it to Start. (Gassers too)

When you pedal it while cranking it, yer shoot'n more fuel into the cylinders than it needs (or wants), to fire up. When it does start.. the excess, [Unburnt] fuel, shoots out the TP.. in the form of Smoke.. of various colors.

It's "All About".. Computer Controlled, Fuel Injected.. Engines.

Try It, yul Like It ??

Joe

coondog491

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys great info. i know enough about fuel injected engines to know that you dont have to touch the accelerator to get it started.

and there is no damage being done to my engine by not waiting for the light to go off after it has reached OT?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys great info. i know enough about fuel injected engines to know that you dont have to touch the accelerator to get it started.

and there is no damage being done to my engine by not waiting for the light to go off after it has reached OT?

I didn't mean to say that Anyone.. on SDD didn't know about FI engines.. It's just that some of us are maybe a bit more "Seasoned" than others.. and maybe, out of Old Habits.. think we still need to ROMP on it 3 times, pull the choke out.. before & during a start up...;):D:lmao

No, it doesn't hurt a thing, to wait 'til the WTS light goes out. We can't make an error.. on the side of Safety & Common Sence.

During the WTS light period/cycle, the PCM does a Systems Check at every start-up... Hot or Cold. But if the engine is At, or Near.. Op Temp..after a short shut down, the PCM won't cycle/energize the Glow Plug circuit(s).... because the PCM senses they arent needed. The PCM gets that information from sensors like.. Oil temp, coolant temp and the like.

I guess what being said is: If you ever Short Change the WTS.. with a warmed up PSD.. you won't Hurt anything. If you Honor the WTS everytime.. you won't Hurt anything either.

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14