Warn hub wont stay engaged...

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm driving home from work, stop at the chain ckpoint n lock in the hubs (Warn HvyDuty w/Dynatrac kit) and head off up the summit.

40miles later of 4wd (CalTrans wasnt doing much plowing..) I turned off to the county road towards home. Soon I hear and feel what seems like I'm driving on the rumble strip. Placer Co wasnt plowing a whole lot either, thinking I was drifting towards the shoulder n turned a bit towards the center of the road. Didnt change anything. Shifted into 2wd and no change. Hmmmm What broke??? And of course it's snowing like crazy so I'm not for looking underneath much. Just keep driving on...

Get to a wide spot, pull over and find the left hub about half unlocked. Lock it up and start going. All is good for about 15miles and it starts again. Gets better and then worse with bumps in the road. Sometimes goes away all together. And cant shift back into 4wd on the move, it grinds...Finally get home (after stopping at yet another wreck) and start looking for new transfer cases... I mean what else can it be, right but the most expensive part??

Get underneath it this morning, fluids good, nothing grossly hanging down or exploded, decide to drive to town for breakfast. All is good, the county guys knocked down the berm and 4wd worked fine getting down the driveway. Get a mile or so down the road and it starts again. Again the left hub is half unlocked. Lock it back up and all is good for another mile or so. Same thing. Unlock both hubs no more noise/vibration. Fortunately snow is turning to rain and roads are ok. Locked up to come up the drive and it works for the 1/2 mile of (slow) 4wd. So now that the transfer case is broken panic is over, it seems the Warn hub wont stay engaged....

Anyone had this problem, and how did you fix it?? In 30 some years of 4wd's never seen this before...:dunno:confused:

Mike

(Sorry for the long dissertation, but it's snowing again and I dont feel like being outside doing what needs to be done...so I'm stalling instead of being outside doing chores. The horses have gone this long without being trimmed, another day wont kill em :sly)

ghoff

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
yup, sounds like a problematic hub. How old is it. Maybe warn would be willing to warranty it? I have never tried to open one up.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
could take it apart & clean it...
bet you end up replacing it.

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it apart last nite, the snap ring around the axle shaft was broke and loose. Never saw that before... And of course it's a slightly different design that what I could find in town, so had to do a little filing....
Dynatrac is sending a couple new ones, when I get them am gonna tear the whole thing down n clean it, the grease was kinda funky.
Just gotta figure out how to get the outer splined part out of the trucks hub..
After I get done on the skid steer plowing the drive!

Mike

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch

Well, noise/vibration started up again. Put it up on jackstands. Wheel bearings tight; but a lot of mvmt inboard next to the knuckles, left > right.

So I close the garage door, fire up the propane heater and tear in to it.
Spindle bearings are shot!!! Failed catastrophicaly!!! No noise till this little episode, no nothing. Dry as a bone. Crap!!!!!!!!!!!! Dumbass!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I service the wheel bearings twice a year. Never thought about spindle bearings; not sure I ever knew about them or if I did I had forgotten about 'em. :dunno:dunno

Dynatrac was good about sending 2 new stub axles, spindles, u joints, bearings and Warn hubs. $$$$$

Learning can be expensive.

TailGunner, you probably already are aware of them with your Dynatrac kit, but if not............

Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14