Warranty question--not typical one though!

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
This isn't the typical warranty question. I've had lots of work done on the truck (3 turbos, EGR's, etc) all under warranty and AFTER I've had the aftermarket intake, etc.

The CAC hose ruptured causing an air leak above 7psi of turbo boost. Ford wouldn't cover the repair (charged bare minimum of $94 labor, $86 for part) because of the aftermarket air intake. Is this right? They did replace the turbo the week earlier under warranty, so I'm thinking I should just shut up and be happy with a $196 repair bill. But the tightwad in me wants to know if Ford should have covered the bill.

The service rep didn't void my 100k warranty, but just said they couldn't cover this repair because it was directly related to the aftermarket air intake. Does this sound right?

Also, I've been having rough starts in the morning unless I let the truck warm up for 10 minutes. Ford says that it's because of the aftermarket air intake sending the PCM mixed/wrong data. Again, does this sound right?

:thanks :hail

Scot

;()
Reaction score
I would be happy they didn't cancel the warranty and take the 200$ hit. Actually not even that much. You would have had a 100$ deductable so your only paying 100 more than that!!! Maybe take a look in the mirror and slap the tightwad side of you in the face ;) I find I need to slap myself sometimes when I'm a tightwad. I have heard more than a few times that the intake on these motors is the only thing FMC didn't underengineer. The "engine not getting enough air from the factory intake" justification argument doesn't apply to the 6.0

Try putting the factory intake back on and see if the problem goes away. If not take it back to the dealer with the factory intake on. Then they have to address the problem.

Good Luck-popcorn

Deviant Diesel

Sooting 1 jerk @ a time!
Reaction score
If you really want to try and fight, you can request that a Ford engineer write a letter as to why your aftermarket intake directly caused the damage, and they have to give you researched proof. One of your rights as a consumer. I've got a "slightly" modified '01 TransAm, and been given the run around by GM a few times.
But on the other end, if they're right you'll probly lose your full warranty so I'd just take the $200 hit.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58