Waste gate

black_cloud_stroker00

GO BIG RED!!!
Reaction score
I have heard of bypassing the waste gate by unplugging the vacuum line going to it. Is bypassing it bad on the turbo or the truck. I'm getting a wicked flutter from the waste gate when it starts to open. It's really annoying.

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not your wastegate... Its surge, you will need to add a Wicked wheel at the least or a ATS housing to stop it. You will NEVER hear the wastegate open.

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think it is surge. i get the same sound when shifting gears and letting off the throttle at high rpm's. i also feel a lul in acceleration in about mid throttle. my boost gauge slows down around 10-16 lbs then jumps up to 26. i think that is surge. will definetly order a wicked wheel and tubonetics wastegate.

black_cloud_stroker00

GO BIG RED!!!
Reaction score
mine doesn't do it when I shift. just when its at higher boost. we I get a chance I will uplug the wastegate and see what happens.

Bottom line, is it bad to unplug the wastegate?

cvdenson

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
black_cloud_stroker00 said:
mine doesn't do it when I shift. just when its at higher boost. we I get a chance I will uplug the wastegate and see what happens.

You know what? Everyone talks about how great it is to unplug the wastegate and that you'll gain 2-3 psi. I did it last weekend and lost 2-3 psi. I'm lucky if I can break 17 psi versus 20 psi when I had it hooked up. This is on a early '99 powerstroke diesel with only 12,000 miles on the motor and turbo. I replaced the original in the spring with a complete drop in.

cvdenson

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
black_cloud_stroker00 said:

You know what? Everyone talks about how great it is to unplug the wastegate and that you'll gain 2-3 psi. I did it last weekend and lost 2-3 psi. I'm lucky if I can break 17 psi versus 20 psi when I had it hooked up. This is on a early '99 powerstroke diesel with only 12,000 miles on the motor and turbo. I replaced the original in the spring with a complete drop in.

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will not hurt anything, but it can sometimes make your EGT's go up. More boost is not more power... Try it and see, you can also replace the stocker with a turbomaster wastegate controler.

Reaction score
Never unplug it!

Never unplug the line coming into the actuator on your wastegate. People talk about unplugging it because it will give you more boost. The reason your waste gate opens is to serve as a safety valve. Stock turbos are only made to handle a certain amount of boost and any more is dangerous. I know a guy who recently split his turbo housing doing the exact thing. Three grand later he realized it wasnt such a good idea. As for the fluttering at high RPM's, go with a wicked wheel. I put one on my truck and it did wonders. Cheap, only like $80 on dieselsite.com but a pain in the rear to install. Just do yourself a favor and leave the line plugged up!

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bluestroker415 said:
Never unplug the line coming into the actuator on your wastegate. People talk about unplugging it because it will give you more boost. The reason your waste gate opens is to serve as a safety valve. With a mild chip and stock injectors the turbo will not see much over 25#, which it is rated for... I have run a stock turbo up to 30# for 40,000+ miles and it's still fine. You will not "split" the turbo.Stock turbos are only made to handle a certain amount of boost and any more is dangerous. I know a guy who recently split his turbo housing doing the exact thing. Three grand later he realized it wasnt such a good idea.Dude, $3000??? HE GOT RIPPED OFF! Stock replacement turbo is less then $800, $300 install MAX. He could have had a H2e installed for that much... As for the fluttering at high RPM's, go with a wicked wheel. I put one on my truck and it did wonders. Cheap, only like $80 on dieselsite.com but a pain in the rear to install. Just do yourself a favor and leave the line plugged up! The best way is to ajust the wastegate to where is vents at 22-24#, You will do no harm in doing this.

:sweet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14