Wastegate Question

thompson238

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been reading here and on other sites about people unhooking there waste gates .What are the pros and cons of this and what is the rite way and wrong way ? Un plug the red tube?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been reading here and on other sites about people unhooking there waste gates .What are the pros and cons of this and what is the rite way and wrong way ? Un plug the red tube?

Unplugging the red Line:

Pro's ? More (but uncontrolled) boost pressure.

Con's ?

1. CEL issues.

2. PCM going to the Defuel mode (a code is set, loss of power until reset)

3. More boost than a 7.3 was engineered/designed to handle. (head gaskets, IC boots, intake boots

4. A good chance at WOT.. exhaust flow can/will DUMP boost, ALL at once. (turbo shaft/wheel stress's)

Just a few Con's but there's more.

The right way:

1. Install a boost pressure relief valve.. after the gauge tap T, but before the MAP sensor. (so the MAP & PCM never senses more than OEM boost)

2. Install an adjustable Waste-gate actuator, set @ 25-30 PSI Max.

3. Install a early 99 turbo compressor wheel. (AKA.. Wicked Wheel)

4. Upgrade the IC and Intake boots.

5. (JMO) Bump the fuel pressure up to 70 psi.

Granted.. the above are Wallet driven.. but ya gota "Pay to Play" ??

thompson238

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Big Joe

Thanks Man! Yes they may be wallet driven but i have found in the past that if I cant afford to mod properly then i damn sure cant afford to fix after modding incorrectly! LOL thanks for your time p.s. I have the wicked wheel on order!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Man! Yes they may be wallet driven but i have found in the past that if I cant afford to mod properly then i damn sure cant afford to fix after modding incorrectly! LOL thanks for your time p.s. I have the wicked wheel on order!

;tu Yer more than welcome. JMO but, Good Think'n about: Pay now.. or Pay Big Time later:lmao.

Yul like that wheel :sweet

Joe

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58