Water in Fuel!! Won't Start!!!

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'99 7.3 PSD.

Went to start truck this morning. It WOULD NOT even turn over. I'm getting the WIF light and the cluster seems to be flickering alot. I drained the water at the bowl ..... as I often do .... to no avail. What is my truck's problem?!

BTW, I don't know that this is even a WIF problem .... just telling what I seen.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SeventyMach1 said:
'99 7.3 PSD.

Went to start truck this morning. It WOULD NOT even turn over. I'm getting the WIF light and the cluster seems to be flickering alot. I drained the water at the bowl ..... as I often do .... to no avail. What is my truck's problem?!

BTW, I don't know that this is even a WIF problem .... just telling what I seen.

How old are the batteries?

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have no idea. Just picked this truck up in June. Thanks for the fast reply.

Update: I don't think WIF has anything to do with it. The batteries were dead when I just went out to start it. Hooked a jumper battery up to the driver's side battery. Lights in cab came on perfectly normal (bright). As soon as I turned the key to "ON" .... the lights went REALLY dim and it will not turn over. This is WITH the jumper battery hooked up. (just a normal 12V battery with jumpers connected to it).

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
R&R both batteries and you should be good to go.

Tbar

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

I finally got a chance to go out & charge the batteries. She fired up and ran good. Hopefully it will start in the morning. Like I said .... I drained the bowl and the WIF problem went away.

I noticed that it took a good while of cranking before it fired up. It seems that as the weeks are passing that it takes longer and longer periods of cranking. What would cause this?

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
SeventyMach1 said:
I noticed that it took a good while of cranking before it fired up. It seems that as the weeks are passing that it takes longer and longer periods of cranking. What would cause this?

Most likely your batteries are shot. If the pcm does not get the correct voltage it will not fire the engine. Engine will sound like it is turning over just fine but no start/hard start.

Pull the batteries and go get them load tested at your favorite auto parts store. If one of them is bad replace both batteries.

Tbar

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With 2 new batteries ..... she runs fine. Never had a vehicle act like that with bad batteries, lol. Thanks guys.

However, this truck still has to crank quite a bit to get started. Has since I bought it. What would cause this?

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
SeventyMach1 said:
However, this truck still has to crank quite a bit to get started. Has since I bought it. What would cause this?

Glow plugs, or glow plug relay (GPR) problems, will cause hard starts in cold weather. The GPR is probably the most common failure there. You might as well start a new post on that problem outside the 911 forum...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14