Water In Fuel?

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
I have been battling A WIF light for some time. I have probably drained it 25 times the last two weeks. Changed the filters. Looked at the fuel and tried to get it to seperate and do not see anything. My buddy gets the same fuel at about the same intervals, no light. Whats next?

I realize I could have posted this in the general superduty section if you get a chance to move it up. Thanks

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats next....hopefully a warranty repair....there were some problems in the past.
hopefully youre will be quickly resolved via these TSB(s) -->

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2003-2005 6.0 Water In Fuel Lamp Illuminated:

Some trucks may exhibit a water in fuel lamp that continues to illuminate after draining
the water separator, or a flickering water in fuel lamp. This may be due to sedimate build
up in the water reservoir or a computer calibration issue.

Check the electrical connections at the fuel pump assembly for damage or corrosion.
If the harness is damaged, repair or replace it as needed.
There is a jumper harness available, part number 6C3Z-9F759-A*.

Remove and fuel manifold from the fuel pump and inspect for debirs inside, and clean as needed.
If the sensors inside the manifold ot the sensor pins are corroded, replace the WIF
sensor(fuel manifold) with kit 6C3Z-9C264-A*.

*The fuel filter heater has been deleted from the fuel manifold.
When installing the updated harness or manifold, also remove the fuel heater fuse
(2003/04, 30 amp fuse #105 under the dash; 2005, 30 amp fuse #7 under the hood).

If the light is on intermittently or flickers, or will only go out if the computer stored codes
are cleared, the computer may need to reprogrammed.
TSB# 06-6-5, 06-22-5; Broadcast Message 4968.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well you COULD probably gather the parts & do it yourself (since
the p/n's are provided in the TSB text/info).

would be cool if any of use had a GOOD enough relationship w/ the
dealer wrenches such that theyd order us the <free/warranty> parts...
let US do the work ourselves and hell id even agree that they
could submit the claim for labor and get the hrs/money themselves....
but then if i knew THAT good a dealer mechanic i probably wouldnt
mind him touching my truck to begin w/.

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish there was a way to change the way the filter is under the truck. Why did they lay that thing down on its side, anyway:cussing: Needs a spin-on filter with a drain valve in the bottom.:sweet

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be a dumb question, but have you tried any type of fuel conditioner like CRC Diesel Dry? I had a persistant WIF not to long ago, drained it about 4 times, got sick of doing that (had water each time though, do you?). Decided to try the above and after about half the tank I had no more WIF :sweet

Are you getting water out each time you drain?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what EVERY use use make SURE it does NOT contain alcohol
as one of its ingredients

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
i went through a similar thing last summer
i would drain the bowl, then turn on the key and redrain about a gazillion times, till it stopped getting crap in it
it was full of red sand and gunk
drve me crazy for a few weeks and numerous filter changes

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
I called the dealer and they said that there is probably not water in the fuel. (I could not seperate it by swishing it) and there is a TSB to change out the sensor and the fuel heater I guess.

I think they have problem customer listed on me when they pull up my truck. When I go in, they always try and give me the "special manager" to deal with. I leave satisfied when they do. It all began when they were replacing the side molding and put them on crooked. Then I saw one of the other managers rub his hand against an area on the side moldings. When I got my truck I beelined straight to where he was inspecting it and there was a big gouge there. I called him on it and pissed them all off when I told them they were hoping I would not notice. Ever since then it is kind of akward walking in there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58