Question water leaking from the side by the blowout plug

1997F350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm new here, but a forum veteran. Trust me, I searched this one before asking so please be gentle if my search didn't turn up an answer and it's out there in the forum somewhere.

I'm truck hunting and have located a 1997 F350 (hence the username) Dually w/ the 7.3L Powerstroke Turbo Diesel.

The owner states, "Truck runs great but has water leaking from the side by the blowout plug."

Is this a deal breaker? Is it something that MUST be fixed? If I buy it and don't fix it will I cause more damage to the truck? Is it an easy fix?

Sorry for the newb questions. This would be my first diesel and I just want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head.

Thanks.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blowout Plug... Hmmmmm

If thats the same as a Freeze Plug.. it's not hard to fix. But the question would be... Why. Lotsa miles ? Cooling system in good shape/clean ? Waterpump okay ?

:dunno

1997F350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
225k miles.
Truck is red with gray interior.
Truck is absolutely mint "no rust" with a new water pump, air pump, alternator, new michelin tires in the rear & goodyear in the front.

1997F350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What does the coolant look like? Rusted?? If it is rusted, I would walk away.

Dave

I haven't seen the truck in person yet. He's going to show it to a possible buyer tomorrow and if they don't buy it, then he's gonna show it to me.

Just to be sure, you're just saying to open up the radiator and check the coolant out, right? You're not talking about the water/coolant coming from the blowout plug, right?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58