Water pump replaced

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Well today I finally replaced my water pump, it has been leaking at the weep hole for a month or so. The only real struggle was getting the fan off the pump/pulley. I used the write up from TDS and it stated you should be able to us a strap wrench and a pipe wrench or other large (1-7/8") wrench to remove the fan adn you did not need the special wrenches. Well I wrestled w/ it for a while w/ a strap wrench and pipe wrench and just could not get enough torque on it w/ those short handles. So I ran up to Autozone and got the proper fan tools. Once I figured out wich of the 5 pieces I needed I had the fan off in no time. So the moral of this story is, go and get the proper fan tools from the get go and save some time. It went real smooth after that.
I went w/ the 203* t-stat while I was at it and went back w/ more GOLD coolant/distilled water again.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Fire1 said:
So I ran up to Autozone and got the proper fan tools. Once I figured out wich of the 5 pieces I needed I had the fan off in no time. So the moral of this story is, go and get the proper fan tools from the get go and save some time. It went real smooth after that.
I went w/ the 203* t-stat while I was at it and went back w/ more GOLD coolant/distilled water again.

Tool rental at the major chains is nice isn't it!:thumbs That write up was probably written before that was offered, who knows.

Glad it went well afterwards. I bet the heater works lil better now.:D

jguzman75

McAllen, Texas
Reaction score
I could not find these rental tools anywhere when I did mine so I had to buy them. About 80 bucks and since my entire family has fords they will come in handy sometime.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Here's the cool thing on the tools. It is a $40 deposit. If you don't bring them back you just bought them for $40. It is a nice 5 piece set. But I dont plan to do this again soon.

ryaneverk2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice job! Don't want to make you go "doh!" but... did you switch to the radiator hose that goes AROUND the serpentine belt, rather than through it? ;)

Black_Mamba

I'm a Window Licker!!
Reaction score
You can also use the air hammer with the stub nose point bit in it to bust it loose.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58