Water Pump Shot

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I thought about this happening before I did the coolant flush. I put in the Restore lst week and drove home about 60 miles then dumped the cooling system and washed it with tap water from a hose.. Then I put in the Restore+ on Christmas Eve and ran it about 45 minutes.. I dumped the cooling system again and started flushing with distilled water. I would put in 3 gallons, drive it until it got over 180 degrees F then dump it and add 3 more gallons on distilled water. I did this about 7 times which would have the acid reduced to about 1/256 concentation. Yesterday I put 3.5 gallons of Rotella ELC in after dumping the cooling system the 7th time. I thought I heard a bearing squeal yesterday when I cranked the truck. Sure enough this morning when I got up to leave for a trip to my Smoky Mountain Cabin, there was red Rotella on the floor of my garage.

On further inspection, it was dripping off of the flywheel. Looks like the weephole sprung a leak. Call Napa and ordered a new not reman pump with a lifetime warranty. I also decided that I would pay the old now not a Chevy Dealership to put it on for me. Their labor was about $187. Pump is $125 or so. Got a new lower hose and drive belt as well.

No Im in the cabin but my truck is 500 miles away. Thank God that it decided to puke before I got on the road and really had to call Richard Ray to give me a pull somewhere around Chattanooga. Its mighty cold out to be working on the side of the road.

I believe the Restore product cleaned it too much. Anyone else ever had this happen?

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I picked up the truck today with a new water pump, belt and lower hose. only $446 parts and labor. I realy did not have time to do it. so $211 in labor was OK by me. Had to carry it back after about 10 minutes. The mechanic had filled the degas bottle to the brim. I made them drain about a half gallon out. Drove it 286 miles with no problems.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You made out ok on my count of the cost...and...you have a shiny clean coolant system too. Too bad you didn't get to drive your rig to the Smokies though!

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just figure that driving the wife's Jetta TDI saved me about $150 in fuel to help pay for the parts.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg