Water Pump Torque Specifications and O-Ring Lubricant

LonestarBronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shroud, fan and fan clutch, belt, and old hoses have been removed and a coolant filter kit has been ordered.

Can someone please tell me the torque ratings for the water pump bolts, pulley bolts, lower elbow bolts? Is the use of thread locker recommended? Also, the generic pump installation instructions say to use an appropiate rubber lubricant on the o-rings before installation. Recommendations?

JRNOLL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the "O" rings, I used Molycote 55 ( Dow) It is a silica type Lube and preserver. We use it on the Gas Turbines at work. Hope this helps. Joe

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Shroud, fan and fan clutch, belt, and old hoses have been removed and a coolant filter kit has been ordered.

Can someone please tell me the torque ratings for the water pump bolts, pulley bolts, lower elbow bolts? Is the use of thread locker recommended? Also, the generic pump installation instructions say to use an appropiate rubber lubricant on the o-rings before installation. Recommendations?

I could look at work and get back to you..
as far as lubricant goes, we just dunk ours in coolant and then hose off the excess when finished.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for the o-ring on my truck I did not use any since it is a flush fit. When installing recessed o-rings I have used plumbers silicon grease and in a pinch Vaseline

As for the bolts I've never actually put a torque wrench on my waterpump bolts but I usually go until 1 click of the wrist which is in the 15-30ftlb range. just good and snug without much pressure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl