Water Pump Woes

Jesse East

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just got the bad news about my (99 F350 Dually with only 80K miles) water pump repair from local dealer. OEM Pump, Flush, Labor, and Fluid is $750. New belt and thermostat adds another $80. Truck has not been worked at all----but it was still on the original fluid, which I did keep at the correct PH with the FR-12.

So I said OK----then new OEM pump was flawed and leaked when installed. And, then I learned that the serpentine belt has frayed and ripped the wires out of the AC Compressor---Another $500 for new clutch and wire harness and labor. Strange thing is that this belt was fine until I drove slowly from my home to the dealer (about 1.5 miles)---and I did not check it when I arrived----they found the other problem with the belt fray.

I know that Ford has fallen on hard times, but do they have to make it up on me? I think I can no longer afford this truck. Suppost to get the truck back today---I have been without it for 6 days.

Any comments----except the obvious ones? Help! Jesse East

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Honestly? That seems kinda high to me... Water pump is about $159. from NAPA; I think labor is less than three hrs, say $200... so I'm having a hard time adding it up to $750, and I'm in the business!

But honestly, the 5 Bens for the a/c clutch sounds about right..

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, on a slow day in January, I tossed one of the guys me keys and told him to chage the oil and rotate the tires... wheel bearing & hub on the left side was toast, ball joints on the right were loose also... $1100 bucks later...

wilpenusa

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a coverup to me. I don't see how belt fray could do that, unless it was installed wrong. The belt either breaks and comes off or it will fray if it is rubbing on something. If the belt was on wrong, not in the grooves properly it might tear the wires out, but a fray would be thrown straight out from the belt by centrifical force I would think.

wilpenusa

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I usually take my vehicle in and have them give me a written and itemized estimate. Then I go pay them for thier time and take my vehicle home and do it my self.

Jesse East

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Truck was not ready yesterday, as promised----waiting for wire harness for AC clutch.

I will post bill when I get it. OEM Water Pump is $279 from dealer. Flushing kit, Fluid and labor gets the pump bill to $750.

Jesse East

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
... I don't see how belt fray could do that, unless it was installed wrong. The belt either breaks and comes off or it will fray if it is rubbing on something. ...

I had a belt fray one time. The cords that whipped around broke off the dipstick handle. It turned out the tensioner was worn causing the belt to fray. Once I had the parts, only took like 10 minutes to replace the tensioner and put a new belt on.

wilpenusa

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying they couldn't do it, I'm saying properly routed and secured A/C wiring on the PDD are not in the direct path of a frayed belt. but if one was installed with out getting it properlly seated in the ac pulley it could possibly rip the wires loose.

Jesse East

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Got the Dually back this PM. Dealer had it for 7.5 days.

When I complained about the delays--parts incomplete, parts faulty, wire harness supplier mixup, and the tech non-availability when harness arrived, the bill was reduced $150 from the original estimate. Still not cheap, and still not sure when the harness got destroyed.

Im just glad to have the vehicle back---but I noticed a little seepage where the bottom hose fits the water pump. Seems like the compression clamp is not rotated to fit the original position. I will wait a day to see if it stops. Hose seems to be structually OK.

Was going to have dealer do the AC fluid change----but now will do this myself. Many on here suggest using Mobil 1 synthetic. I believe I will go this way since the truck has only 80K miles, and I will probally own it for a while yet. What do you think? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jesse East

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Was going to have dealer do the AC fluid change----but now will do this myself. Many on here suggest using Mobil 1 synthetic.

what?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14