Water Restrictions and Washing Cars

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since our water system is going to start Stage 3 water restrictions on June 1, and washing or rinsing cars will be prohibited, I got on a tear this afternoon and washed all three of the vehicles in my driveway: the 02 PSD, my 05 500 and my mother in law's 04 Malibu. Started with the Malibu to get it out of the way first, then the 500 then saved the PSD for last. Added a little chrome polish on the wheels and some tire gloss to top them off. Took about three hours, but I came inside and took a break in between. They all look much better, close to "showroom clean" after I finished. Needless to say, I was pretty well worn out after that, but really glad I did it. Saved a few bucks by not getting the "professionals" to do it. Maybe those car washes will help us get some rain. :D :D

Crusin350

D Dub
Reaction score
around here it usually rains within about 12 hours of washing any cars. So I would think after washing three, The clouds should be rolling in anytime now.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Wayne, are they exempting the professional car washes? Most of those places filter and recycle their water.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
02SilverStroke said:
Since our water system is going to start Stage 3 water restrictions on June 1, and washing or rinsing cars will be prohibited.
:dunno They prohibit you from washing your car? Think I would have to drill a well.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
I live in the same watering restriction so I'll answer some of the questions.

We had a drought last year, and are still in one even with months of rain in the winter. The lake we are fed from is still 9 feet low.

On the stage II level we are at now we can only water the "landscaping" twice a week and wash our "noncommercial" vehicles twice a week and the days depend on the your home address even or odd. Time of day watering is restricted to 7pm to 10am.

I keep hearing we are going to stage III on June 1. Then you may only water 6 days a month on the "landscaping" and wash your "noncommercial" vehicles on the same dates. The time of day watering is also restricted.

Address ending in:
0 or 5 5-10-15-20-25-30
1 or 6 1-6-11-16-21-26
2 or 7 2-7-12-17-22-27
3 or 8 3-8-13-18-23-28
4 or 9 4-9-14-19-24-29

all hosing of pavement or buildings is prohibited.

I do not see where commercial car washes are restricted anywhere, assuming that they recycle as stated above.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
I live in the same watering restriction so I'll answer some of the questions.
Bryan, our water system is the Culleoka Water Supply. They buy their water from the City of Princeton. Of couse, all our water in this area comes from Lake Lavon. Our letter states: Hosing of paved areas, building, or windows is prohibited; Operation of ornamental fountains is prohibited; Washing or rinsing of vehicles is prohibited; Using water in such a manner as to allow runoff or other waste is prohibited; Landscape watering is limited to once every five days based on the address (which you already noted-we're on the same schedule there); Foundations, azaleas, new plantings (first year) of trees and shrubs may be watered for up to 2 hours on any day by a hand-held hose or soaker hose; Draining and filling of existing swimming pools is prohibited. Existing pools may add wagter to replace losses during normal use. Fillng of new pools is prohibited; Establishment of new landscaping is prohibited.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Sorry, the restrictions are set by the city, what I meant was we are both fed from the same lake.;) :sweet

Puddle Pirate

Will Pillage For Diesel
Reaction score
Crusin350 said:
around here it usually rains within about 12 hours of washing any cars. So I would think after washing three, The clouds should be rolling in anytime now.

In Ore-E-Gun, guaranteed to rain 10 minutes after your done and then continue to rain bucket loads for the next 90 days after that!!! I am expecting a 15 minute summer sometime in the end of July!

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
Sorry, the restrictions are set by the city, what I meant was we are both fed from the same lake.;) :sweet
In addition to all this, I heard that Lavon's gates are opened to feed into Ray Hubbard to help Dallas. Go figure? I may check into the restriction on washing and rinsing cars on your alloted watering day. If you only do one car per day, that won't take too much water.
In fact, I know a way to wash your car, and wax it, using only one 2 gallon bucket of water. I've used it occasionally for over 30 years. Take a bucket of water, mix about 1/2 cup of kerosene. Use two terry cloths. Wet one cloth and go over 1/4 of the vehicle (fender and door), then immediately go back with the second cloth and dry. Repeat process until entire vehicle is washed. When this is done, it's washed and waxed and water beads up just like using any designated polish/wax. My dad had a 1970 F100 pickup, Candyapple Red with White top. It sat outside all the time and the paint was starting to fade. I used this system and it looked brand new again. I've done that occasionally over the years with the same results. Believe it or not, but I read that in a "Hints from Heloise" column.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14