Question Water Seperator

tractorman21

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 F-250 with the 6.4 Diesel and it's having some issues with the water separator module.The light was coming on to drain the water from the separator so I drained it multiple times and the light continued to come on.
I took it to the Ford Dealer and they replaced the complete module for $ 563.00. The truck ran good for a few days,but now the light is back on,along with a Green Wrench symbol. The truck seems to have lost a good amount of power and it's hard to drive around. I hate to take it back to the dealer and having to spend more money.
Could this be an electrical issue,or is it something else?

Any thoughts,or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I suppose it is possible that fuel from the fuel tank still has water in it and you are still sucking that into the water separator. The green wrench light (Check Engine) tells you that the PCM has detected problems some where. You need to get it scanned to find out what the Trouble Codes are. Any good mechanic can scan the truck for the codes. Anything else is guessing.

Dave :)

tractorman21

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I suppose it is possible that fuel from the fuel tank still has water in it and you are still sucking that into the water separator. The green wrench light (Check Engine) tells you that the PCM has detected problems some where. You need to get it scanned to find out what the Trouble Codes are. Any good mechanic can scan the truck for the codes. Anything else is guessing.

Dave :)

Thanks for the reply Dave.

The truck was taken back to the Dealer,they checked the Water Seperator,said it was fine,cleared the codes and told me to drive it.It drove fine for about a day and a half and then the light came back on.
The mechanic at the Dealer had suggested unplugging the sensor and driving it.I unplugged both wires and started the truck up.The truck started and immediately shut off.After several attempts,the truck started and the light went out.I drove it for a whole day and then the light came back on.I unplugged both wires again,cycled the ignition switch on and off a few times,plugged the wires back in,started the truck up and the light went out again.
Can I drive the truck with the water separator unplugged? On the separator,there are 2 connectors. A gray plug on top and a black plug on the bottom. Which one would I disconnect?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58