Water Spots??

the_hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, I now have some water spots stained onto my paint. The truck is only a year old. Can anyone recommend a good cut polish or stain remover?

Second, I now know that it is my household water that is causing it. We are on untreated water, and it is heavy in calcium etc. Can anyone recommend a good filtration system?

Cheers

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
carcare_meguiars34-sm.jpg

Meguiar's Final Inspection 34 claims to remove water spots, but I've never used it before.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Second, I now know that it is my household water that is causing it. We are on untreated water, and it is heavy in calcium etc. Can anyone recommend a good filtration system?

To remove the stuff that is causing the spots I believe you will need a water softener. A filter is not going to do it. My softener is a Whirlpool with a standard whole house canister filter in front of it. I think the softener ran about $550 plus another $200 or so for all the fittings and the filter.

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hammer, a water softener will remove the calcium that is causing the spots. Go to www.wqa.org it is the site for Water Quality Association. The companies that are listed there need to have continuing education credits to keep their certification. First get your water analyzed by a lab that is certified for drinking water. Contact either the county health department or the state regulatory agency. I can help you go over the results as I regulate drinking water facilities here in Pa. Here is a guide we send to homeowners if they ask. Keith

the_hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks Guys

I am going to get my water tested first, and then see what filtration I need. I found on the all knowing internet a tip that Distilled White Vinegar will remove water spots from paint.

I am going to try this on an inconspicuos area and will let you know how it works.

Cheers:thumbs

nghtrgr

nghtrgr
Reaction score
GOT MINE OFF OF DARK TINTED WINDOWS (ABSORBS THE HEAT, CAUSING SPOTS TO BE THAT MUCH HARDER TO GET OFF) WITH #0000 STEEL WOOL, MOTHERS PRE WAX CLEANER, AND ALOT OF HAND/BODY PRESSURE. THIS WAS AFTER TRYING EVERYTHING ELSE BRASSO, VINEGAR, CLR, AND SOME OTHER SNAKE OIL TRICKS. #0000 STEEL WOOL AND MOTHERS PREWAX CLEANER TRY IT YOULL LIKE IT.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SSD.com, Tell us where you are from & what yiou driving, but please drop the caps.

jhamlin164

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just some food for thought:

The hard water (as has already been pointed out) is definitely causing the problem. A few things that you can do to minimize the water spots:

1). Wash the vehicle in the shade (direct sun evaporates the water leaving mineral deposits/water spots behind)

2). Dry the vehicle down immediately with a quality microfiber towel (Walmart has them in abundance)

3). Choose carwash soaps that tend to dry "spot-free" (TurtleWax Zipwax carwash just to name one); they tend to have water softeners built in

4). When choosing a wax, avoid the carnuba waxes; they look great & I love 'em personally, but they encourage the rinse water to bead up; this, in turn, facilitates water spots. Use polymer waxes that cause a "sheeting action" with the rinsing water; this facilitates a spot-free finish

5). In the event that you already have water spots that you need to deal with use this product: Meguiars Mirror Glaze 2 / Professional Fine-Cut Cleaner. It is safe & it is FABULOUS at removing water spots. :thumbs Just follow with a good grade of polish & wax.

6). In the event that you'd really like to get into this kinda stuff in a lot more detail (but still very easy reading), just go to this website: http://www.properautocare.com/exteriorcare.html:sweet

Of course, the addition of water softening systems to your home/water supply helps even more, as it corrects the problem at the core. They can be rather expensive, though; I'm about to buy one of the portable units that I've seen advertised at Camping World
(http://rvs.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=6848&wListID=75751&src=WL)

Sorry about being so long-winded, but I used to suffer from awful water spots..............I have felt your pains.
This website will definitely help you get your trucks back to that showroom finish we all crave!:thumbs

Regards,

Jerry

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg