water temp probe

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I am trying to install my water temp gauge. The plug in the water pump will NOT break free no matter what I do. I have put a box end wrench on it and used a 2 foot stake and hammer to no avail. Can anyone tell me how to get the (*&$(*@#&$## thing loose???

Thanks!

dpantazis

Reaction score
did you drain the coolant yet?

kroil or PB Blaster and a little bit of heat to the water pump boss.

need to get the coolant out to get it hotter than engine temps or you will just heat the water.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
Cute Richard. :tounge

I did not drain any of hte coolant. I had hoped (what was I thinking?) that I could go out and just break it free and see if I needed to drain any to avoid dripping from the plug hole. I havent driven it since I got home from work yesterday so I figured it should be fairly easy. There I go thinking again.

Other than engine heat, I dont see any feasible way I could get it hot. I dont have, nor am I willing to try, a torch.

I think Tbar is at the mod day I couldnt attend today.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Peter when that plug is removed coolant will drip. Have a large catch basin in place. That's where my dieselsite coolant filter gets coolant from and returns it to the degas bottle ( I added a brass tee ). In that loop is my coolant temp sensor for my water gauge. I really see 200-204*F when fully warm with dieselsite's 203*F t-stat.

Last edited:

atk

Reaction score
you can try giving it a good hit with a hammer or hammer and punch....the shock from the hit might free it up some or you may have too use some external heat(torch with brazing tip)...hope this helps

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
Richard, how did you get it loose? I figured I might need a pan but was waiting to get it loose first. I have the same 203 thermo.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Hose it good with a good penetrating oil and repeat over several days.........then try getting a cheeter bar on it and strike with a hammer.

This isn't the T-Stat plug I am removing but it will give you an idea anyway........

Thermostat plug is just above it in the picture.

Tbar

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58