WD-40 guy passes on

dpantazis

Reaction score
John Barry, former CEO who helped WD-40 become household name, dies at 84 in La Jolla

By Associated Press
6:16 PM CDT, July 20, 2009

SAN DIEGO (AP) — John S. Barry, the former president and chief executive of WD-40 Co. Inc., who is credited with helping turn the rust-preventer for missiles into a household brand, has died. He was 84.

Barry died of pulmonary fibrosis on July 3 at a skilled nursing facility in La Jolla, his widow, Marian, said Monday.

In 1969, Barry, who had a master's degree in business from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, became president and CEO of what was then the Rocket Chemical Co. of San Diego. He took over the president's position from his father-in-law, according to his widow.

WD-40 stood for a "water displacement" formula worked out on the 40th try. It was used to protect the skin of the Atlas missile from corrosion but it worked so well that, according to a company history, some employees sneaked cans out of the plant for use at home.

By the late 1950s, the product was being sold in aerosol cans in local stores. By 1960, employees were selling an average of 45 cases a day out of their car trunks to hardware and sporting goods stores, according to the company's Web site.

People used it as a lubricant and corrosion-preventer for a variety of purposes. Mrs. Barry said Marines who used it to keep their guns clean in the Vietnam War took it home to use on their fishing gear.

Within weeks of joining the company, Barry recommended a major change.

"He said, 'We don't make rockets. Let's change the name to WD-40," said his brother-in-law, Lawrence Irving. "It was a stroke of genius. We had no name identification."

"Jack was a big driver in the success of the company in its early days," current CEO Garry Ridge said Monday. "It was his unquestionable focus that really got the company to the stage that it got to."

Under Barry, the company went public and began production overseas. Today, WD-40 has about $300 million in sales a year in 160 countries, Ridge said.

Barry retired as CEO of the company in the mid-1990s and as chairman of the board in the late 1990s, Ridge said.

In addition to his wife, Barry is survived by his sons Steve, of Escondido, and Randy, of Bay Park in San Diego; daughter Deborah Faneros of Camarillo, and four grandsons.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Wow.........thought you meant SDD member Doug.......WD40 !!! :eek:

Tbar

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am SO sorry. i did not even think about Doug.

ME FOUR..:eek::eek:

Til I read the piece.

I'm a WD-40 user.. hope they don't make any changes in the formula.

Lota deaths here lately.. Ed, Farra, Billy, Walter.... now John Barry.. just to mention the notables (;))

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
i have to join the club thats why i clicked on it i thought we had a man leave us but over the years the real stuff has come in handy once or twice

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
PB Blaster is pretty good too, but WD40 smells a lot better.

image001.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg