WD hitches

triplethreat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a Jayco TT around Feb or Mar. and have been researching WD hitches and am very confused. The TT i'm looking at is 31' long and wet should weigh around #9000 with about a #850 tounge weight. I've looked at some hitches but by the time you purchase all the parts it is going to run 6 or 7 hundred dollars.(Do i need the dual cam sway system with it?) Is this right or am i not figuring this right. Also does anybody know the most economical place to buy the WD hitch. I will be towing it with the truck in my sig.

Dan

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Just the standard hitch without the WD junk will do just fine. 850# is nothing to these trucks. You don't need sway bars or anything else. Just make sure you get good brakes on the trailer.

Dave

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I would have to disagree. A 9000lb trailer with 850lbs on the tongue is going to be a handful on a regular old hitch. You don't need anything fancy but a good weight distributing hitch will make your tow much more enjoyable. Your truck will handle the 850lbs fine but the WD hitch will put some of that weight plus a little on your trucks front tires rather than pulling weight off of them. Check out the Eaz-Lift model 1000 ADJUSTABLE BALL MOUNT AND SHANK. It will do the trick quite nicely. Nothing fancy required. You can pick one up for around $350-$400.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
I would have to disagree. A 9000lb trailer with 850lbs on the tongue is going to be a handful on a regular old hitch. You don't need anything fancy but a good weight distributing hitch will make your tow much more enjoyable. Your truck will handle the 850lbs fine but the WD hitch will put some of that weight plus a little on your trucks front tires rather than pulling weight off of them. Check out the Eaz-Lift model 1000 ADJUSTABLE BALL MOUNT AND SHANK. It will do the trick quite nicely. Nothing fancy required. You can pick one up for around $350-$400.

I agree with Crumm on it being a handful. You don't want the tail wagging the dog when you are going down the interstate doing 65 MPH and a big truck comes by at 75 MPH. The White Knuckles are no fun at a time like this.
From what you are saying Jayco is going with about 8 and a half % tongue wt. I think 10% handles a lot better in MHO. You have the right truck, so don't scrimp on the hitch or brake controller. :D

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
My last TT was a coachman it was 31 feet and weighed in just under 9k
it had a 800 plus tongue weight. we used a stpring bars and the whole setup excpet for sway control stuff.
never ever had any issue with it tail wagging of anything. it towed very nice and smooth. set it to squat the tail about 2 inches and the front an inch. pretty much made the truck sit level

WD40 said:
I agree with Crumm on it being a handful. You don't want the tail wagging the dog when you are going down the interstate doing 65 MPH and a big truck comes by at 75 MPH. The White Knuckles are no fun at a time like this.
From what you are saying Jayco is going with about 8 and a half % tongue wt. I think 10% handles a lot better in MHO. You have the right truck, so don't scrimp on the hitch or brake controller. :D

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am certain that I have the Jayco that you are looking at. It si the 31 BHS. You will love it. I tow mine with the standard hitch, but I have an equalizer and single sway control. It tows just fine. I tow a trailer about 80% of all the miles that I drive, and they are all with a super duty of one sort or another. I would not worry about it. Just get the dealer to throw it in with the deal. For what it is worth, when you make the deal, I paid about $20,000 plus ttl out the door for an 06 in July.

Scooter

triplethreat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scooter the one i'm looking at is basically the same as the BHS, The only real difference is that the BHDS has a double slide instead of the single. I went to the local dealer up in Clayton (camptown rv) and they were asking 19,600 plus ttl. although i do all this research on it and now the old lady says she might want a boat instead. I wish she would make up here mind. Either a boat or a camper would make me happy. But, I guess haveing a boat ramp 3min away on the intracoastal would make a boat pretty sweet to have.

Dan

gaspump

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Scotter I sell RV's infact we sell Jayco and you do need a hitch. I sugest the Equilizer brand 4point hitch. The weight distributing bars are also your sways. It is the best on the market now for the money. Come see us at Terrell Camping just out side of Charlotte on Lake Norman. In bussiness for 35 years. I will save you a nice piece of change.

Greg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58