Weak starting

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I mean since then. The obvious things first, like the batteries. They should be load tested to see if they are good. A volt meter will NOT tell you if they have the capacity, only the volts. YOU have to do the work, we can't. :)

Dave :)

Last edited:

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Ok, I crawled under the truck and found a broken starter housing bolt. They are the really long bolts that run parallel to the starter. I backed both housing bolts out to observe the inside of the starter and there was a lot of soot. I ran and got a new starter from O'rielly's Auto for $189 with a lifetime warranty. I looked at motorcraft starters and refuse to pay $450. Installed the new starter making sure to disconnect the batteries first. After installation, turns over perfect.

The new starter sounds alot different. My old starter was louder and had a kind of high pitch wine. This new one is much quieter with out the wine. Why would this be?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I crawled under the truck and found a broken starter housing bolt. They are the really long bolts that run parallel to the starter. I backed both housing bolts out to observe the inside of the starter and there was a lot of soot. I ran and got a new starter from O'rielly's Auto for $189 with a lifetime warranty. I looked at motorcraft starters and refuse to pay $450. Installed the new starter making sure to disconnect the batteries first. After installation, turns over perfect.

The new starter sounds alot different. My old starter was louder and [had a kind of high pitch wine.] This new one is much quieter with out the wine. Why would this be?

The OEM starter probably had a bushing/bearing going bad, causing the whine/squeal.. and also the soot (grindings) as it went south ?

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl