Wear & tear from short trips

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am planning to start changing my own oil. Since I don't drive far, even if I do it every 5k, that would only be 2-3 changes a year.

** Very good idea. ;tu

No one has really said anything about parts that may wear out because of more starts and not driving it far. Is that not an issue?

** IMO ? Not an issue. There aren't any parts that will, in fact, Wear Out.. from short trips.

I was told by a friend, who may be an idiot, that diesels were not designed for that type of driving?

**Again.. Not a big issue. Look at UPS, FEDEX and the like ?

As long as you keep the oil and fluid levels up, grease things on some sort of schedule.. and take a "Sunday Drive" now & then, and Git On It some.. IMO.. yul be Just Fine.

Joe

On Edit ?.. Dave makes a good point below.. about the 6.0 EGR issues though. But I stand by my basic thoughts.

Guess I should stay in my 7.3 box.. ? ;):lmao

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Your friend is far from an Idiot. Diesels do NOT like short trips. The key factor is getting the engine up to operating temperature and driving it at temperature. By not getting it up to temp, you can and will cause fowling due to incomplete combustion. This will clog up your EGR and gum up injectors. Take it out every Saturday or Sunday and drive it on the Highway and get on it! This will blow out the carbon buildup and help you keep your diesel running strong. Missing or stumbling is all of the junk in the engine that was not cleaned out. I am not a fan of all of the additives that will clean out your injectors and cure cancer. I do use Power Service every once in a while. Wal Mart has it in the Grey Bottle. Good Luck!

Dave :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg