Weird Noise

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My friend's 03 6.0 makes a strange noise that is hard to describe - it almost sounds like a deep whistling noise or very high frequency vibration. Its almost like when you blow across the top of an empty water bottle. It only makes it when you are at cruising speed about 5 min into driving - if you let up on or increase throttle it goes away. To me it sounded like it was turbo related like an intercooler boot or something but they seem to be in good shape and not cracked. There is no apparent loss in power. Any idea's?:dunno

stroker21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know on the 7.3, the ebpv will cause the same type of thing when it is cold outside. It closes to help warm the engine up.

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
Mine does it when the EGR sticks and it usually happens at idle or very light throttle when taking off. I need to take the EGR out and clean it my self or have the dealer do it the next time its in for service.

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does it when the EGR sticks and it usually happens at idle or very light throttle when taking off. I need to take the EGR out and clean it my self or have the dealer do it the next time its in for service.

That sounds like it could be it - I'll have him check it out - Thanks:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58