weird relay noise under dash

chadjones99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello , I have a 03 6L Ford F350 and for the most part trouble free
anyway lately I have been getting a clicking noise that sounds like a relay clicking under my dash when my truck is running even when its just idling
I don't always get it but it has become more common that last few weeks. So i stuck my head under the dash and it sounds like it coming from that little black box's that is attached at the base of the gas pedal ? could be coming from fuse box cause that what i was going to go after but doesn't sound like it, SO what is the little back box for on base of gas pedal
>?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
It's a potentiometer. It's used to determine throttle position. Shouldn't have any relays in it.. but there is a couple of trailer tow relays and the 4wd relays in the immediate vicinity..

chadjones99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well it sounds like a relay and i cant say for sure were it is coming from other than under the dash i took my fuse box cover off to see if i could feel them for a clicking . and no luck
\I did on the other hand take the fuse out a few weeks back that feeds the passager side seat ( got tired of kids paying with it )

chadjones99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ok i was wrong i found where the clicking is coming from under the dash but just below the radio area and a/c area there is a wide black box i could feel it clicking... it now does it even when the truck is off now and key is out with door open ( all power to cab should be off )
i will try to post a picture of it ( its driving me crazy )
on a side note i did the BB mod, it did help the truck ( with 2nd issue ) still feels like i have a HPOP leak problem its has kind of a hard start when hot when you let it set for a while, and surging a little fuel pressure was 50-52 at idel but now its 62 PSI so i could feel that but not sure if this clicking issue is some how affecting my ICP or somthing cause thats what it feels like and it all started about the same time about 50 days ago, give or take

Last edited:

chadjones99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ok the relay was the blinker relay so i replaced it ( looked ust like a 5 pin relay but guess its not the same ) at a cost of 19$
and the new one clicks like the old one so it must be something that feeds the blinkers note blinkers work when its in , but i here a lot of clicking (like blinker sound when blinkers are off , etc but blinkers not on when clicking )
while i had it out drove truck to auto parts store it was nice and quite no clicking )

chadjones99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Blinker switch

just a update if anyone cares or may having the same problem.
IT turned out to be the muti function switch ( blinker switch on steering wheel )
I replaced it, I guess sometimes when they wear out they get a loose ground inside. It may have also cause my truck to have Injector problems , believe it or not . meaning It may sill have a HPOP minor leak causing of the hard starts once warmed up... but the missing and hesitation went away ( well about 90% of it ) and i think its possible that the loose ground was causing noise in the electrical system and was adding to the problem ?? All i can say is once i replaced the blinker switch the motor is running allot better and no clicking noise under dash. Maybe next i need to look at the Pipe coming off the HPOP for leaks

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
We all like to read updates! It really sucks to have a long post with no answer if it was fixed! Glad to hear you fixed it!

chadjones99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
update

sorry i cant give a good answer , just wanted people to know that on my 2003 it seems that the clicking came from the blinker relay that i replaced for 20$ did not fix it so i went to the blinker switch , which did fix the weird clicking noise, and at the same time the truck was running pretty ruff , not sure if the way the truck was running could be linked to the blinker switch ( stranger things have happened ) so something to keep in mind but the truck does seem to be running a lot better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg