weird whistle

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
ok guys... for about 2 weeks now my truck has been making a weird whistle (like a high pitched whine)...

the thing is that I can't find anything consitent about it except that it seems to do it only at 20-25+ boost but it only does it toward the end of a powerband in any gear and right when i let off.. almost like the back pressure is what is causing the whistle... i have noticed any loss in power.... it sounds like its coming from the turbo (almost like its in the dash behind my radio)...

could there be a leak in one of my expansion joints? or maybe a leak in the y-pipe(if thats what you call it) that connects to the turbo from the manifold....

any thoughts?

thanks

DR.Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have seen the flex joints on the turbo feed tubes crack and cause the whistle noise you are hearing.time to get a drop light and inspection mirror to find the soot markes.

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
yeah i plan on crawling under when i get home tonight.. thats about all i can come with.. its weird.. if it is that its not goin to be fun to replace :(

Todd Tumbleston

Tumblestone
Reaction score
My wierd whistle was pressure being released from my degas cap because of my blown headgasket! Did it for over a year until I blew my intercooler. That's when I found it. Good luck. Hope it's simple

Last edited:

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
I haven't noticed any puking though??? would i notice puking?

i suppose that could be a possibility

Todd.. i remember you saying something abou that.. i hope that isn't my problem!:eek:

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I haven't noticed any puking though??? would i notice puking?

i suppose that could be a possibility

Todd.. i remember you saying something abou that.. i hope that isn't my problem!:eek:

No, not necessarily. The coolant bottle caps have evolved over the years.

New designs from when your truck was original.

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
No, not necessarily. The coolant bottle caps have evolved over the years.

New designs from when your truck was original.

ok so my weird whistle is still there and keeps getting worse... i did notice a little puke on the bottle today but nothing serious... i do think that the noise is coming from the bottle though....

i thought i remember some people saying they had to replace the bottle or the cap or something... like what Stephen said about the cap? was the cap changed in 05 or whats the deal there?

thanks guys....

this is starting to really worry me... i haven't really ran the truck hard and i have hauled nothing with this truck.... it was in Ford about a month ago and they said it checked out fine and that was less than 4000 miles ago... today it was a consistant whistle/whine at 65 mph, 20 lbs of boost and the egts were around 8-900... the only thing that is consistant is the fact that i only hear it when the truck is going up an incline.... big or small.. but goin downhill or straight it doesn't seem to do it.... weird??

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
bump!! I did get it to make the noise going down a hill today but i had to really punch it... idk whats going on..... does anyone know how much a new coolant bottle and cap cost and what is needed to replace it....

i did crawl under and check the flex joints as best as i could and they seem fine.. i guess is possible that it could be the turbo but i havent noticed the truck running bad... it seems to be running pretty good still.. maybe not quite the pep but nothing serious

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58