weird whistle

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
I was drove to tulsa.ok and back the other day and on the way back i started to notice a strange whistle...once i got into town i rolled down the window and realized it was really loud. so the next day i did a little trouble shooting and found that the boot by the turbo was cracked so i replaced it and still is whistling...i also checked the turbo to downpipe connection and re ran the boost gauge tubiing (hard to tell exaclty where its coming from.....not that bad until u give it gas ...any ideas?? :dunno thanks -cody

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
When I had suspected leaks, I purchased the 4" Turbo leak detector from DieselSite/Riley,one of our sponsers here. Made it real easy to track down even the smallest of leaks. I used a dauber brush applicator and leak detector fluid after pressurizing(you can use soapy water). A mechanics mirror is also helpful for seeing the small leak bubbles that may occur on the bottom of a boot. Big leaks you can simply hear w/o the leak juice.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you had [one] boot leaking.. rather than chase the others for leaks.. it's best to just replace them All.

One leaked.. the others are sure to follow, due to age. (Murphy's Law ?)

Joe

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
definitely going to replace both of them but the ford house oly had one..i was going to go with aftermarket but needed the truck so i thought that this would fix it and get me back going again. if i woulda known i would still be down i woulda ordered them...thats the way it always goes haha

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
ok i looked at the bible and everything but i'm being a retard i guess i dont know what i'm looking for....are these pipes accesible without taking the cab off...i really want to do tis myself but i dont have the means to get the cab off where i am now and really dont wanna shell out the money for the dealership to take it off just to replace a leak like that.

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
thinking it may be the y pipe.....anybody know how hard it is to fix
Is that to say that you have pressure tested the system and ruled out boot or ic leak? Yes, it's a tight/tough fix if it's cracked y-pipe or connection at the expansion joints that connect it to exhaust manifolds. It's not automatic that they remove cab though. When I had a leak there, the dealer was able to just tighten up one of the clamps. I did have exhaust fumes getting into the cab when this occured. Do you? They have a smoke test that they can do to pinpoint the leak ,if necessary. Personally, this is one that I wouldn't attempt myself. My body doesn't bend and contort the way it used to, for certain. Post when you get it pinpointed. Hopefully it's just a quick minor tighten.

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
In the bible, look @ the Left Rear of Engine Photo. The long red line from #1 goes right across the y-pipe. Those two shiny pipes go up and join together right behind the turbo. See how at the bottom of the y-pipes they are connected w/ expansion joint clamps. What a tight spot it is! Can a dealer tech change a y-pipe w/o removing cab? I don't know.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14