Well, I'm back...and we got a new toy!

RazzyB

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone noticed, but I was not online the last week, had to make an emergency drive to South Dakota. My father in law passed away before we got there. Real bummer, he was a great guy. :(

Anyhow, we were at dinner with my mother-in-law, and she out of the blue asks us if we want my father-in-laws boat! Of course, I said yes (and immediately wondered how we were gonna get the thing home to WA...as we had our minivan :oops: ) !!

The boat is a 8-year old Bayliner Capri 1954, 19-foot inboard. It was all set up for fishing (downriggers, front swivel seat, trolling motor, depthfinders, all the tackle for salmon and walleye fishing - yeah, there's salmon in South Dakota!), but in storage there was also all the parts to convert the boat to a pleasure/ski tow boat, best of both worlds! Well, we trailered the boat over the Rockies and Cascades and the van seemed to do well. Now it's sitting in front of my house, and I'm wondering what I got myself into!

Bertha can hardly wait to pull her to the lake and we'll put her through the paces! I can try and put pix up if anyone is interested. Anyone got any boat-owner tips :dunno ? I already found out from a smartass at work that 'boat' stands for bring out another thousand :D

Glassdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great new toy. Now you have a decision to make.... Mods for the PSD or mods for the boat :confused: or both :sweet

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
RazzyB sorry to hear about the FIL, hope MIL and wifey are doing ok.

I already found out from a smartass at work that 'boat' stands for bring out another thousand :D

He's not a smartazz just being truthful, TRUST ME I know :D

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Razzy, condolences to you and your family.

BOAT = Hole (hull) in the water you throw money into. Have fun with it, Ive owned three boats in my lifetime (that is until I moved to the desert) and have experieced the full gamut of maintenace woes that goes with them. Ive had one I/O and two outboards. Ive repaired cracked manifolds and cracked hulls....... Now I ride Harleys.

Rcannon

HOWDY!
Reaction score
my condolences to your family....

and my condolences to your wallet. The two happiest days with my boat.. the day I bought it and the day I sold it! the day I sold it was the best of the two.

My best boat owner tip: take a course in safety and have your boat coast gaurd inspected. good luck, have fun, but most importantly BE SAFE.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Condolences to your family and congrats on your new toy

I'll ditto Rcannon on the boater safety class and a good inspection is never a bad thing especially if this is your first boat.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Brian, good to see you back. We've got some get togethers coming up be sure to check in the events section. Condolences to you and your family.

Scott

Swany

truck driver
Reaction score
Boats are a waste of money but priceless when it comes to family bonding time. You do the math on that one! It's all about the fam!!!!

Condolences on your father in law.

ibsmurf

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
1st....Sorry about your FIL.... :(

2nd.....Always, always, always make sure the drain plug is in place and the battery is charged BEFORE backing the boat into the water.... :eek: :eek: :doh: :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14