Went from ROUGH idle to no start. HELP!

Tenn01PSD350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Take off the fuel filler cap, remove the supply line from the tank to the pump, blow through the supply line into the tank with about 10psi and make sure it is free. Another thing you can do is hook up a hose from a fuel can right to the supply/intake part of the pump and see what happens.

At any rate, there is a plastic locking connector on that supply line at the pump. It takes some squeezing and manipulating to get off. I used a couple flat tips on mine. Was hoping you would be up and running by now.

EDIT: my final note tonight, I see you have shimmed the stock regulator to 75psi. That could lead to premature pump failure. Higher pressure = shorter pump life.

Last edited:

black_cloud_stroker00

GO BIG RED!!!
Reaction score
have you messed with your PCM latley, i.e. downloaded a programmer? I had a faulty programmer that fried my PCM and I had the same symptoms as you. $250 to the stealership and it was good to go.

Goliath

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I removed the shims from the FPR when it started diong ths thinking maybe it was up too high. No change. I havent made any changes to the PCM at all. Still trying to think of things it could be. Trying to send some info back to my brother to try out. Hes gonna take it to have it scanned for codes tomorrow so we'll see what that turns up.

Goliath

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Update

Work got canceled for this week (so far) So I replaced the fuel pump and after I finally got the air out of the lines it fired it. But now it runs really rough and you can't give it any throttle at all because it just bogs it down. Also, fuel seems to be coming from around the valve cover on the pass. side bank. Couldnt really tell where its coming from because it was getting late and I couldnt reallly see. Tomorrow I'm going to try and figure something more out. Any Ideas on what could be causing it to run rough?

hammer450r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe valve cover connection for the glow plugs and injectors. Did you check the glow plugs at the valve cover for resistance? It'll tell you if the connection is loose under the cover.

Goliath

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Maybe found the problem

I think I may havee found the problem today. Got up early this mornin and fired it up to see if I could figure anything out. I notice the slight amount of smoke coming from the pass. side again. Turns out it was the exhaust leaking. Went to the back of the truck and had no pressure at all hardly coming from the tip. If the cat wasnt already gone I would suspect that. But it has an aftermarket exhaust so I'm thinking two things. EBPV has closed for some reason. (Could they go out when they are close? When does the valve itself shut?) Or the flow through muffeler has somehow collasped onto itself. I'm going to disconnect the exhaust right after the DP and see if it has more pressure there. If not, time to pull the turbo and get rid of the EBPV.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
well, yeah, the EBPV does shut... and when it does, the thing is gonna have No (and I mean NO response to the throttle)...
why it's there is similar to a heat riser on a mid-70's gas engine... they route exhaust through the intake to warm the engine faster in cold weather..

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Also, fuel seems to be coming from around the valve cover on the pass. side bank
is this confirmed as fuel? That would indicate a whole new/different set of problems

Goliath

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
FIXED!! Thank you all.

Just an update. Seems that all my problems came about at once. First I replaced the brakes, then the water pump the next day, then I started having the trouble I was posting on here turns out the fuel pump went out, I had water in the fuel, GPR went, finally get my girl to fire back up and she doesn't want to run. Turns out the EBPV was staying closed. I broke it down, gutted it, unplugged it and it fired up and idled great. Run awesome again. Thanks for all the advice guys you've really helped me out a lot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simmons Inaya