Went to the dealer for warranty work

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stopped by my local dealer yesterday to make an appointment for some warranty work. I have noticed a bit of wetness on the back passenger side of the engine that collects on the bell housing, doesn't even loose enough oil to register on the dipstick between oil changes. I also have had a couple case of "turbo farts" when I decelerate. I have also noticed that the coolant level in my degas bottle has dropped about a half inch over the last year or so. I just want the stuff looked into while it is still under the 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty since it runs out for me in Oct 2009.

I went to the guys in the heavy truck shop (it is separate from the normal service dept) first and they told me to put the cat back on because they aren't supposed to work on it with no cat. They also me that the computer needs the cat to supply back pressure for the computer to supply the proper amount of fuel and timing (which I thought was BS because the computer should read the back pressure either way and make the adjustment)
I also removed my Banks system and the Airaid intake before I even stopped in so I don't get any problems for that. I actually sold the Banks system the next day because I had no plans to reinstall it. probably will sell the Airaid and just run the stock filter as well.
I felt out the service manager about programmers and he told me that it doesn't void the warranty on the truck but if the problem is related to the programmer or the intake, then that part won't be covered (standard answer) He did go on to say that almost every truck he has seen with a head gasket problem was running a tuner / programmer.
Don't know if this helps anyone but just wanted to share the info I received.

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
Sounds like they are BSing you. I've been running without a kitty cat on my 6L for over 100K miles with no problems (at least none of what you describe)

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been running for quite a few miles without my cat either. On the same note it is no big deal to toss it back on just to bring it in and have the work done then pull it back off. He also had to throw in the requisite "its a federal offense to remove the catalytic converter"

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Fortunately for me, my dealer isnt that picky. They just fix what is broke and we all go about our business.

dieselredneckva

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my dealer can be picky but luckily i am very good friends with the owner so i get first in line and serious discounts on anything i have done and they do not care about anything done to the truck. hell the owner of the dealer has a 400hp 8" lifted F350 lol.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update:
dropped it off this morning and they called me this afternoon. the oil leak is a "slight leak" on the rear main seal. no turbo problems and no problems with the coolant or cracked EGR. no recalls either.
had to order new torque converter bolts but I should have it back on Wednesday. glad it wasn't worse.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg