What a pain in the %@&

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some one needs to smack the guy who came up with the serpentine belt on the 6.0. What a pain just to put a new alternator on.:rant:rant The belt tensioner was in the right spot so you could not get the bracker bar on it to set the belt. Is there a tool for this, I'm going to need to get one.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a Universal Serpentine Put'r on'r/Take'r off'r kit/tool thingy a Auto Zone.. So far I haven't run on to a belt I can't master (6.0s too). Cheapy thing but it works.

Comes in a plastic box, made for all the stuff.. long'n skinny.. fits nicly in my bed box, along with all the tools known to man I carry with me.. just Daring something to go TU.

Joe

Last edited:

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
I know exactly where you are coming from . I replaced upper and lower radiator hoses and the belt a while back. Total pain in the arse. Dealership wanted to charge me $1100 to do it!!!!!

I took the whole fan shroud out to make things easier to get to........that took 45 min alone just to get that out!!! Once it was out though, I could get to everything.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are just replacing the alternator it is actually easy. Just remove the alternator as usual (it amazing how simple the alternator removal is compared to the belt) then make sure you keep tension on the belt so it doesn't fall off of the other pulley's, a buddy helps with this. Slide your new alternator pulley under the belt and push down on the back so it sits back on it's pedestal. You can even pull up on the left side of the belt ( I believe that's the correct side) and it will pull the tensioner, making it a little easier. Once I figured it out, it was easy.
Now if you have to replace your belt, you are S.O.L. and have to cut the shroud and then bolt it back together after you are done.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
How do you do this??? I have never seen replacing the belt without cutting the shroud.

Dave:dunno

yup you have to cut the shroud, unless its been changed before, then it will have plastice clips or nuts and bolts, depending on who did it.
if a ford guy did it then it might have plastic clippy things,

but if its a virgin, the shroud must be cut and it even has the lines molded in the shroud
still a PITA

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
Well....I know mine isn't different from everyone elses, but I took the bolts out that hold it to the motor and then unscrewed it from around the radiator and lifted it up and out of the motor. It took some "finageling"........and a TON of very bad words........but I didn't have to cut mine.

I did pull the air filter out and took off both boost tubes and both the upper and lower radiator hoses (I was changing them also) but my fan shroud is in one piece.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58