What about 5" exhaust?

draftlover

Crybaby
Reaction score
Is a 5 incher worth the extra cash (about $100-140 over a comparable 4")? I realize that the downpipe is still 4" or 3.5", but usually it sizes up to 5" from the intermediate pipes and then to the muffler and tail pipes. I am buying one today and need to know what you all think. Is it worth it? Or should I go with a dual or a straight 4 incher? I had a 4 into 5 inch exhaust on a chevy 6.5L back in the day and loved it..have times changed? My idea for a combo is the Edge platinum w/ Attitude, 5" MBRP Turbo back exhaust, Air-Raid stage II intake, Attitude pillar mount pod all for $1560.00 bucks. It'll go on an '05 Ford F-350 CREW,LB, Dually. Feedback would be great!!! Cheaper prices would be great!! Thanks:dunno :sweet

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Unless you plan on going crazy later with injectors and such, there is no need for 5". 5" also moves up the powerband making the the motor more low end sluggish.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
me to
my egts stay low i have reached 1100, 1200- 1300 ^ once.:eek:
but my boost never gets higher than 30
my 4" exhaust seem to work quite weel and its got the kitty still in there

draftlover

Crybaby
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
me to
my egts stay low i have reached 1100, 1200- 1300 ^ once.:eek:
but my boost never gets higher than 30
my 4" exhaust seem to work quite weel and its got the kitty still in there

Was that towing? How much?

Blowby

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I went 3.5" then 4" then 5". Depends on the fuel your going after. Stock injectors will perform great with 3.5" and 80 hp chip. Stage I or II's and 120hp chip a 4" will help.

crzycowboy

Suporting Vendor - www.grpipes.com
Reaction score
These 5" questions are always touchy. I agree with most of what everyone has said. If you have not done any major changes to your truck (injectors, a sick sick tune, whatever...) 4" will be perfect. NOW.... I know people who have a put a 5" system on their trucks and love it. 5" wont hurt your truck, your turbo will spool quicker, and your temps will be a little lower. The guy I know straight piped his truck with 5" and this is where I get my info. Now the turbo will put out the same amount of air, but with less restrictions it can do that quicker. Look at your turbo like a pump.... if you had a pool of water you had to drain, and your pump could only move 10 gallons of water per minute, thats all you're gonna get, no matter how big the pipe. This is only my 2 cents, on what I have been told by a few reputable diesel guys. Like I said the 5" exhaust questions are very sensitive!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14