WHAT ABOUT A BANKS KIT?

firedude9052000

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I JUST BOUGHT A 2006 CREWCAB WITH THE 6.O AND THE TORQSHIFT, I AM LOOKING FOR A PERFORMANCE UPGRADE THAT WOULD INCLUDE EXHAUST (TO LOWER EGT) AND SOME SORT OF HP/TQ UPGRADE. I TOW A BIG BOAT AND THE 6.0 HAS NO PROBLEMS DOING IT BUT I REALLY HATE THOSE RICERS AND I WANT TO SHOW THEM ONCE AND FOR ALL WHO'S BOSS AND JUST REALLY BLOW THEM OUT OF THE WATER WHEN I GET ONTO IT. WOULD THIS BANKS KIT BE A WISE CHOICE OR AM I JUST GOING TO GRENADE THE ENGINE WITH IT? http://www.banksexhaust.com/System.cfm?appid=AF08&sysid=SF36 I ALSO DONT WANT TO SPEND A BUNCH OF $ ONLY TO GET A TON OF BLACK SMOKE. NO SENSE IN WASTING CASH ON ALL THAT UNBURNED FUEL RIGHT? OR IS IT A NECESSARY EVIL OF TUNING A DIESEL FOR HIGHER HP/TQ? ANY INSIGHT WOULD BE AWESOME.

TYLER
ST LOUIS, MO

2006 CREWCAB DIESEL LONG BED BONE STOCK... FOR NOW ANYWAYS

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
Most people here will recommend you skip Banks. You can put together an equivalent setup for less money. I have not yet done more than intake and exhaust though so others will offer specifics.

You can up the power without necessarily a ton of extra smoke. It will all depend on what/how you change your setup.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
save the $$
get a good quality 4" exhaust, mbrp allows for removal and reinstall of cat
manga flow does not but both are great systems for the $$
your stock intake is a well designed flowing system, unless you are goin gwhol hog on a chip/tuners save your $$

what rear gears are you running

make it easier on the eyes ALL CAPS are hard to read

firedude9052000

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
3.73 Limited slip

I am running the 3.73 limited slip rear end. I was advised by the power team guys from powerstroke that they would optimize for towing my boat and trailers plus give me good city and highway mileage. Is the banks kit way overkill? I kinda like the having the PDA to change setting on the run and monitor my temps and boost. Is that too much cash for what you get? I asked the same question to the power team guys and they said FORD would not endorse such aftermarkey add ons (yada yada we alll knew that) but as a consumer the BANKS kit would be the way to go. I wass just looking for your opinions as to what would be the best way to up the ante a lil bit when those stupid ricers try to play with the big dogs, kinda put in their place 'ya know.

firedude9052000

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The only real thing my uneducated diesel eye has noticed is that with the banks kit you use your stock cat. So in short you use all new downpipes and exhaust and muffler that are all 4" diameter but you splice in the 3" cat? kinda defeats the purpose of having a 4" system right? Or just a necessary evil to give the truck just enough backpressure to run right?

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
going back to the stock cat from the 4" pipes will be counterproductive at least to some degree. You have a free flowing system all of a sudden cramming the exhaust back down into 3". No system will require you to dump your cat; it will just depend on what parts you want to replace.

From what I have seen at several forum sites is that, for what you get, Banks is over priced but not a bad product. Essentially, you pay extra for their name.

If you want to just get it all at once and be done with it then that may suit what you want. But, if you prefer to save money and get the same thing, you can piece together your system for far less. You can get pillar mounted gauges, the dp and exhaust, and probably a multi-position, switch-on-the-fly chip for a comparable price.

I think the Edge Juice system has a digital monitoring system for egts, boost, etc but, as with the above, I am parroting what I have read previously.

jimmypage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
run a turbo back mbrp 4" with no cat or muffler and run the edge platinum or the evolution i personally like that combo and you can do all three for under $2000

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
firedude9052000 said:
I am running the 3.73 limited slip rear end. I was advised by the power team guys from powerstroke that they would optimize for towing my boat and trailers plus give me good city and highway mileage. Is the banks kit way overkill? I kinda like the having the PDA to change setting on the run and monitor my temps and boost. Is that too much cash for what you get? I asked the same question to the power team guys and they said FORD would not endorse such aftermarkey add ons (yada yada we alll knew that) but as a consumer the BANKS kit would be the way to go. I wass just looking for your opinions as to what would be the best way to up the ante a lil bit when those stupid ricers try to play with the big dogs, kinda put in their place 'ya know.

read this
how heavy is the boat? yes thats important....:D
your turbine outlet is 3.5 iinches, you could start at 4 but that would still have to pass everything through a 3.5 " hole,
most on the market start at 3.5 then jump to 4 after the cat or end of downpipe,
as pete said some will start at 4" and go all theway back at 4
but if you put the cat back in its squeezed to 3.5
your state laws will govern if yu need to have the cat for inspections, some do some dont, and if you live on a farm you can apply for a waiver:D

Last edited:

firedude9052000

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok heres the deal I live in Missouri so if I understand things correctly if my truck is licensed as 18k I dont have to pass emissions just safety inspections, does anybody know if thats right? If it is I can run straight pipe from the turbo on out, right? or do I still need the cat/muffler? Im starting to get confused but very excited with what Im going to be able to do to my new truck. As far as my boat its was my Grandfather's, left for my when he died. Its a 33' Baja but I am getting rid of it (the payments are huge and I dont like Baja boats that much) but I also tow a 25' double axle trailer that does double duty as a landscaping trailer and a car hauler.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
if my meory serves me right your truck should be 11200-11800 gvwr, but i could be low
mainly because your a single axle crew cab with a 3.73 axle.
i cant get into the site right now. low signal strenght here tonight :D thats what happens when you piggyback a free wireless source :D :D

UPDATE your truck GVWR is 11,500 lbs, thats what they should base your registration on not 18K, might save you some $$$$

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14