What about the big rigs?

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So there is all of this big hype over the emissions change for consumer diesels. What about the big rigs and commercial equipment? Do they have to do all of this too? I don't have anything to do with that kind of stuff but was just wondering about it for a while and though I'd ask. I know that our submarines emergency diesel generator runs on some mutant form of diesel. I ask one of the civilian guys who was topping of the boats tank but forgot what was in it. It aint ULSD, I know that. I told him to top off my tank when he got done with the boat. He must have forgotten to do it or something.

One other thing, I see at the truck stops that diesel is $2.30/gal unless you use credit and then its $2.37/gal. Is that just the trucking company credit? What is that all about?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
commercial highway diesel owners & operators are stuck in the same predicament we are.

off-road fuel used to be different, now guys are telling me it's basically the same stuff except for the dye... I know off road has a different algaecide in it, because it needs to have a longer tank life; the cetane ratings and sulfur content used to differ, don't know if they stull do.

the backup generator in your sub probably has some version of #2 heavy in it, specially blended for naval operations and classified beyondo extremo... just my guess...

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
yep, big trucks gonna have the tree hugger engines too.

several companies around here have been buyin up 06's & 07's and stock pilin them to use when the older trucks need to be taken off the road.

the peterbilt's i know are gonna be about 4 inches longer and hoods will be bigger to accomodate all the engine changes.

Shadow_Grey

Comfortably Numb
Reaction score
Greatest Nation on Earth! You don't like it, LEAVE
Off-road diesel is exactly the same stuff only with the dye in it. My brother hauls the stuff right from the refinery which also fills the pipeline that in turn feeds the nation. I rode with him a couple of times and the only thing they have to choose from is the LSD and ULSD in regular or premium grade dyed or undyed. If at a more modern terminal the dye is injected at the fill station and it pumps in a shot every few hundred gallons. If at an older terminal the driver is the one that adds the dye in. They also add any additives per customers orders (algiecide, lubricity additives, cetane additives) outside the fill station. The difference between the regular and premium diesel is the amount of refining resulting in higher cetane rating or better BTU's per gallon. Color has nothing to do with it at that point.

THEDIESELMAN

John Deere Tech
Reaction score
JLDickmon you are right it used to be different because off-road was .5% sulfer and on-road is .05% sulfer, but know they are the same and lower in sulfer in some places already.

N_P

Truck Nut
Reaction score
Yup, the big guys got hit with this emissions stuff too. The cost of a new 2007 big rig is $6-10K more that it was for the 2006 because of all the "goodies".

So there is all of this big hype over the emissions change for consumer diesels. What about the big rigs and commercial equipment? Do they have to do all of this too?

Whata250

Whata250
Reaction score
We converted over to Extra low Sulphur back in September. We previously had an above ground tank with off road diesel but we now use the same in both situations and no off road fuel at all. Our off road fuel was going into the refrigeration units on our trailers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14